Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cooking W/ Oil and Calories

Cooking W/ Oil and Calories

Does anybody know about how many calories you add when you cook with (fry something in), say 2 tbsp oil? How would you go about figuring this out? I know the vegetable oil has nutrition facts, but not all of it actually sticks to the food. Anybody have any ideas on how to calculate this?

Blog Entries

Cooking W/ Oil and Calories

On an old Crisco commercial, they demonstrated how they fried a chicken, measuring the quantity of oil before and after frying and they then claimed that only 1 tablespoon was used for the entire chicken.

I imagine that some of the fat from the chicken added to the quantity and so this probably wasn't an accurate representation. But it's probably the best you can do at home.

======
    CM

http://www.cooks.com

Fledgling Member
    Lots of oils will turn into trans fats when cooked. I recommend using grapeseed oil or cold-pressed coconut oil. Grapeseed is a little better because it contains less saturated fat.

Trusted Senior Member
    Sorry to disagree but, Normal cooking temps and times are not nearly enough to create any significant amount of trans fat in the food that we cook at home.

Fledgling Member
    Normally meats are cooked at high temperatures to ensure they are safe. A lot of oils will turn to trans fat when cooking on temperatures most people use for meats when frying. If you are using aluminum, stainless with aluminum, or non stick cookware (applied to aluminum), then the aluminum will cause the oils to hydrogenate, creating partially hydrogenated oil.. turning the polyunsaturated and unsaturated fats into trans fats.

Fledgling Member
    *Aluminum reactions will sometimes also require certain atmospheric conditions.

Participating Member fishin magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by levisgoodness View Post
    *Aluminum reactions will sometimes also require certain atmospheric conditions.
    Um not to change the subject but... What is it about aluminum that Makes things happen... Someone just yesterday told me that if I threw an aluminum can in my wood stove that as it would burn it would eliminate and reduce the creosote buildup in my pipe exhaust...., I have yet to try it but now that I hear you mentioning aluminum... and its ability...... I may have to try it Hey basil......I grew up in Kankakee Illinois... Have you heard of it

Trusted Senior Member
    Yes Fishin magician, I have even been there. I think my brother and Dad used to fish on the Kankakee River. I think we used to go to a campground when we were younger either in Kankakee or near it. Many, many years ago. I am in Melrose Park just west of Chicago, so I think it might be an hour or so from me. I will be going down around Joliet after Easter sometime to visit someone so that's half way. As far as this aluminum stuff, I guess I don't know much about it. I have used aluminum pots and pans for years with out incident, same as cooking oils etc. I just do not believe a lot of the stuff that I read on this site and others. But that is just me. I am 70 years old and I am still kicking it up.

Highly Esteemed Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BasilRock View Post
    Yes Fishin magician, I have even been there. I think my brother and Dad used to fish on the Kankakee River. I think we used to go to a campground when we were younger either in Kankakee or near it. Many, many years ago. I am in Melrose Park just west of Chicago, so I think it might be an hour or so from me. I will be going down around Joliet after Easter sometime to visit someone so that's half way. As far as this aluminum stuff, I guess I don't know much about it. I have used aluminum pots and pans for years with out incident, same as cooking oils etc. I just do not believe a lot of the stuff that I read on this site and others. But that is just me. I am 70 years old and I am still kicking it up.
    I'm just a pup of 58 yo.
    But I agree with you about not believing everything you read or hear.

Participating Member fishin magician's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BasilRock View Post
    ...Miss basil I lived on the Kankakee River...... from 75 to 78..... short stay but a very memorable 1.... I currently live on the Hudson River in Lake Luzerne just south of Lake George NY.,....... Must be something about rivers.... don't know.... but I do love it ... always excellent fishing ...... anyway...... forgot what the thread was about.. As for believing everything you read on here.... believe half..