Thread: cooking lots of pasta to save money

Fledgling Member

cooking lots of pasta to save money

I cook entire boxes of spaghetti at a time and keep them in a ziplock in the fridge. I don't know if its really saving money as much as a TON of time and electricity cooking. The noodles seem to keep a long time and I always have sauce made and stored so I can heat up a spagetti dinner for the kids in minutes. A couple pieces of bread in the toaster while the microwave is running and boom. Everybody's happy.

Highly Valued Member
    Hello oj, this is a recent trick that I too learned from my Italian side of the family. There's only 2 of us @ home with a broken dishwasher so making pasta became a real pain. Now I make the whole package, coat it with a little olive oil. Sealed up tight it will keep up to a week. I only eat whole grain now which needs a little more salt when cooking. Not kidding, have you ever made "fried pasta'? Thrown in a pan with a little butter & oil, S & P are all that's necessary. You can also add some fresh/dried herbs, fresh cherry tomatoes, zucchini. The pasta gets kind of crispy & if your kids aren't big veggie eaters they might not even notice them. OH, don't forget some grated cheese on top. If you try it, enjoy!

Trusted Senior Member
    Try brown rice pasta. I don't like the taste of whole wheat so I discovered brown rice pasta. Takes a few minutes longer to cook.

Quote Originally Posted by ojcool View Post
    I cook entire boxes of spaghetti at a time and keep them in a ziplock in the fridge. I don't know if its really saving money as much as a TON of time and electricity cooking. The noodles seem to keep a long time and I always have sauce made and stored so I can heat up a spagetti dinner for the kids in minutes. A couple pieces of bread in the toaster while the microwave is running and boom. Everybody's happy.
    That won't work and, besides, it's not healthy to eat so much pasta.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaraB View Post
    That won't work and, besides, it's not healthy to eat so much pasta.
    YES YES YES! I totally agree! I rarely even buy pasta. Spaghetti squash is a good alternative.

Fun, just made pasta for dinner to night, with an all vegetable sauce, onions, squash, tomatoes and peas whole thing took about 20 minutes to do(from mixing the pasta to dinner served). I estimate the cost of the dish to be about 75 cents, if I had to buy them, but since most of the stuff I used was grown in the garden over the summer and i did use egg for the pasta. IŽd say I spend maybe 10 cents.