Thread: Looking for "filabunk"

Fledgling Member

Looking for "filabunk"

My grandfather (of Swedish heritage) used to always eat what he called "filabunk". It was similar to a sour yogurt that you would make from a culture and whole milk. He passed many moons ago, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of it or might even have a source for a culture.
    Any help would be appreciated!!!

Trusted Senior Member
    Boy, that's a new one on me, never heard of it before! Have you already tried an online search?

Fledgling Member
    Yep. I found it by that name as well as a few others, but alas no info on how to get it. I do remember that he acquired the "culture" through family members in Sweden. They would actually soak a paper towel in it, dry it and send it throught the mail. Of course, that link to the family has long since disappeared. I just thought I'd throw it out here in the off chance someone might have heard of it.

Trusted Senior Member
    You never can tell, some people here are very clever researchers, good luck!

Trusted Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hab321 View Post
    My grandfather (of Swedish heritage) used to always eat what he called "filabunk". It was similar to a sour yogurt that you would make from a culture and whole milk. He passed many moons ago, but I was wondering if anyone has heard of it or might even have a source for a culture.
    Any help would be appreciated!!!
    I think it is filmjolk a swedish yogurt and I believe you can get the cultures on-line. hope this helps.

Fledgling Member
    Thanks!! I did find a culture for filmjolk on line. I'll give it a try.

My grandfather was also Swedish. Growing up we would have filabunk during the summer months. It was considered a cold soup. It had to have a starter which each time a batch was made a scoop was removed and put in the fridge until the next batch was made. It would be made with milk and sat on the counter approx 3 days to setup before refrigerating. If you were able to locate the starter I would love to try making it again

My aunt used to keep filabunk.Unfortunately her strain only lasted a year or so and she had to send to Sweden for a dry starter which if i remember came from a strain of moss.My wife experamented for a year or so in freezing batches of it and one batch was succesfully thawed out and after mixing the new strain with milk it produced a weaker strain but each time sme mixed milk with the newest batch it thickened up more. After about a week it was back to the original thickness.Yes she succeded in keeping samples of the fully restored strain frozen for over a year and was succesful in bringing it back to life.

Hope this helps some folks.

It has been over 30 years since my wife left us so this is all from memory.