Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Fudge

It is important you have the right tools - a candy thermometer is a necessity, you also need to know what a soft ball and a hard ball is. You drop the mixture into cold water and see if it balls up. Is the candy rolled into a ball? is it soft or hard? Another tip is to make sure you cook the mix long enough - it needs to boil, that is what the candy thermometer is for. It is essential it gets to the right temperature, or it won't set.

I know I have a fudge recipe somewhere.... let me look! It was from my great grandmother, called Old Sailors Fudge, unfortunately, it is packed away. I will dig it up for you!
    Last edited by bakingbetty; 2021-06-09 at 06:19 PM.

Old Fashioned Chocolate Fudge

Ingredients

Ingredient Checklist 2 cups white sugar
    cup cocoa
    1 cup milk
    4 tablespoons butter
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract

Directions

Instructions Checklist Step 1 Grease an 8x8 inch square baking pan. Set aside.

Step 2 Combine sugar, cocoa and milk in a medium saucepan. Stir to blend, then bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Reduce heat and simmer. Do not stir again.

Step 3 Place candy thermometer in pan and cook until temperature reaches 238 degrees F(114 degrees C). If you are not using a thermometer, then cook until a drop of this mixture in a cup of cold water forms a soft ball. Feel the ball with your fingers to make sure it is the right consistency. It should flatten when pressed between your fingers.

Step 4 Remove from heat. Add butter or margarine and vanilla extract. Beat with a wooden spoon until the fudge loses its sheen. Do not under beat.

Step 5 Pour into prepared pan and let cool. Cut into about 60 squares.

Nutrition Facts

Per Serving:
    37 calories; protein 0.3g; carbohydrates 7.3g; fat 0.9g; cholesterol 2.4mg; sodium 7.3mg.
    Copyright 2021 allrecipes.com. All rights reserved. Printed from https://www.allrecipes.com 06/09/2021