Recent Blogs Posts

About seed starting and gardening with vegetables and herbs, and even a few edible flowers and touching upon the subject of wild plant gathering.

1. No Pork & Beans Baked Beans

No Pork & Beans Baked Beans
    Beans
    1 lb. baby lima beans
    1 finely chopped onion
    1/4 c. finely chopped bell pepper
    1 link favorite Smoked Pork Sausage Diced

I never soak my beans. Wash and pick through beans for any foreign matter and dirt. Sautee onions pepper and sausage in a 6 quart black iron pot until tender ( I prefer black iron, but any oven safe pot will do). Drain off wash water and add beans to the pot. Cover with water and bring to a rolling ...

Updated 2011-07-04 at 02:49 PM by Brad C

Categories
    Food and Cooking , What did I cook today? , In the Kitchen Garden
  2. plum jam

what is the difference between jam, jellie, or preserves? I have a lot of plums and am trying to deciede what to do with them. Do I have to peel and core? they are small but very good. it so hot here in Texas, want to do these the quickest and easiest possible, as have a large vegetable garden to keep up with. Does anyone have any ideas, or quick reciepes for these plums?
  3. Summer is just around the corner!

Memorial Day is the week that kicks us into Summer gear and cooking/dining in the great outdoors. Here in New England we wait through what seems an endless Winter before we can get back out there.

I don't know about you, but when the sun comes out and I've got my lawn furniture set up and the grill is ready for another season, the last thing I want to do is head into the kitchen to cook. So this week, I'm making up foil packets of various barbecue-friendly meats and stacking them up ...
  4. Macaroni Salad

Quote Originally Posted by dazaga View Post
    Here's another one without measurements.....it's one that's gotten handed down to me from my Mom and she probably got it from hers.

Cook and drain macoroni (elbow macoroni or pasta twists, others are fine too)
    Add:
    chopped celery
    diced onion(not too much)
    chopped hard-boiled eggs
    salad dressing (or mayonnaise)
    a little mustard(not dry)
    sugar - about 1/4-1/3 of salad dressing amount
    salt to taste

Mix together and enjoy!