+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How long does crisco last?

Fledgling Member

How long does crisco last?

What's the longest time you have used Crisco after the expiration date? I have the 3- 1lb. sticks. I have about 5 sticks left, both regular and butter flavors. They have been wrap and in the plastic containers they come in. All are sealed and haven't been opened. The 1 that was opened looks, smells fine. I haven't tried to cook with them yet.
    I hate to throw all of them away. I am wanting to bake with it, cookies mainly.

Trusted Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tandra View Post
    What's the longest time you have used Crisco after the expiration date? I have the 3- 1lb. sticks. I have about 5 sticks left, both regular and butter flavors. They have been wrap and in the plastic containers they come in. All are sealed and haven't been opened. The 1 that was opened looks, smells fine. I haven't tried to cook with them yet.
    I hate to throw all of them away. I am wanting to bake with it, cookies mainly.
    I don't know if you are still looking for an answer to your question as I just joined and did not see it until today. But I also had some unopened Crisco past the due date and when I opened it the color was changed and it smelled rancid, so I dumped it. I guess if it smells o.k. and it looks good it can be used, if not, toss it.

I have used Crisco past its date and never had a problem.Like BasilRock said it will smell rancid if no good,so if it seems ok,no smell,right color then I would use it.

+ Reply to Thread