+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hollow Bread

Fledgling Member

Hollow Bread

When I was a kid going to bible school we did a project. The teacher made a bread that we baked. It looked like a regular loaf of bread but when you cut it open it was hollow inside. It was supposed to represent the empty tomb of Jesus. I would love to make it for our church youth group but no one remembers how to make it. Please help if you can. Thank you.

Susann

Hollow Bread

Resurrection Buns (Sweet Easter Buns)

These buns form a 'hollow' in the middle after baking. This hollow represents the empty tomb when Christ arose on Easter. They taste very much like cinnamon buns. YUMMY!

1/4-1/2 cup melted butter, about
    1 bag large marshmallows
    1 cup sugar
    2 teaspoons cinnamon

Mix your cinnamon and sugar together in a bowl.

Take a small ball of raw bun dough (these are easily made if you have leftover bread dough as well), and wrap it around a marshmallow, sealing well.

Dip the ball into melted butter.

Dip the buttered ball into the cinnamon/sugar mix.

Place the ball onto a greased cookie pan, (use a pan with a lip, because the marshmallow will melt out to make a nice gooey sauce, and you wouldn't want it all over the bottom of your oven!) Leave enough space between balls to allow them to rise to double their size.

Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise for about 35 mins or until doubled in size.

Pre-heat oven to 375.

Bake the Resurrection Buns in the oven for 18-20 mins or until lightly browned.

Susann

Hollow Bread

A simple version to do with children.

Reserrection Bread

Ingredients: 1 can of crescent rolls Large Marshmallows

Let the children spread a portion of the bread dough around a marshmallow. Follow the cans directions for baking.

Discuss with the children that the dough symbolizes the tomb where Jesus was laid. The marshmallow represents Jesus. When the dough is baked the marshmallow will vanish. When your child cuts open the bread they will see an empty tomb. Let's celebrate that He has risen!

Hope this help.

Susann

Hollow Bread

Cross Cake This has become a family tradition. Bake a 9"x13" sheet cake. (Layers of chocolate, red velvet, and white can be used to make a gospel presentation of our sin, Jesus' blood, and the purity we have after He covered our sins.) When it is cooled, use a pre-cut pattern of a cross, and cut the cake into a cross shape. I ice the cake in chocolate icing, and each year the children decorate it. We talk about the significance of the cross while we decorate. ( When my oldest was 6 months old, I used his fingers to scrape "tree bark lines" across the cross. As the children have aged, the cake has become more elaborately decorated). We take a picture of the children with the cake, and have the "Cross Cake" as Easter day dessert.

Susann

Hollow Bread

Stained Glass Easter cookies are fun and delicious. Cut cookies from a tube of refrigerated sugar cookie dough and roll out slightly. With a butter knife, have children cut the shape of a cross out of the middle of the cookie. Place on a cookie sheet and fill the cutout with any type of finely crushed clear hard candy (i.e. butterscotch, root beer etc.) and bake. The results really do look like stained glass!

Susann

Hollow Bread

For a resurrection snack, cut a chocolate donut in half and stand it on it's cut ends. This is the tomb. Use a donut hole in front of the cut donut. This is the stone in front of the tomb that the students can easily roll away.

Susann

Hollow Bread

EASTER STORY COOKIES: Make the evening before Easter... 1c. Whole Pecans 1 tsp. Vinegar 1c. Sugar Zipper Baggie 3 Egg Whites Tape Wooden Spoon Pinch Salt Bible

Preheat oven to 300 (This is important-- Do it now!) Place pecans in zipper baggie and let children beat them with the wooden spoon to break into small pieces. Explain that after Jesus was arrested He was beaten by the Roman soldiers. (John 19:1-3.) Let each child smell the vinegar. Put 1 tsp. vinegar into mixing bowl. Explain that when Jesus was thirsty on the cross he was given vinegar to drink. (John 19:28-30.) Add egg whites to vinegar. Eggs represent life. Explain that Jesus gave His life to give us life. (John 10:10-11.) Sprinkle a little salt into each child's hand. Let them taste it and brush the rest into the bowl. Explain that this represents the salty tears shed by Jesus' followers, and the bitterness of our own sin. (Luke 23:27.) So far the ingredients are not appetizing. Add 1c. sugar. Explain that the sweetest part of the story is that Jesus died because He loves us. He wants us to know and belong to Him. (Ps. 34:8 and John 3:16.) Beat with a mixer for 12-15 minutes until stiff peaks are formed. Explain that the white represents the purity in God's eyes of those whose sins have been cleansed by Jesus. (Isa. 1:18 and John 3:1-3.) Fold in broken nuts. Drop by teaspoons onto wax paper covered cookie sheet. Explain that each mound represents the rocky tomb where Jesus' body was laid. (Matt. 27:57-60.) Put the cookie sheet in the oven, close the door and turn the oven OFF. Give each child a piece of tape and seal the oven door. Explain that Jesus' tomb was sealed. (Matt. 27:65-66.) GO TO BED! Explain that they may feel sad to leave the cookies in the oven overnight. Jesus' followers were in despair when the tomb was sealed. (John 16:20 and 22.) On Easter morning, open the oven and give everyone a cookie. Notice the cracked surface and take a bite. The cookies are hollow! On the first Easter Jesus' followers were amazed to find the tomb open and empty. (Matt. 28:1-9.)

Fledgling Member

Hollow Bread

Susann, Thank you so much. Now we can make these for Easter with our youth at our church. I wish I had found this site earlier. I spent 2 hours a day for a week looking on the internet before I found this site.

Susann

Hollow Bread

Anytime...your very welcome.

I am only as strong as the tea I drink, the hairspray I use and the friends I have.
    Susann

+ Reply to Thread