+ Reply to Thread

Thread: how can i refreeze shrimp

Fledgling Member

how can i refreeze shrimp

I've thawed out a bunch of shrimp and won't use it all. How can i save the shrimp not used?

Susann

You can not refreeze shrimp!

Shrimp Storage

Wash and sanitize your hands, the kitchen sink, counter top, and any other surfaces which will come in contact with the shrimp. Dissolve 2 tablespoonfuls of liquid laundry bleach in 1 gallon of tap water for a simple, yet effective, sanitizing solution. Thoroughly wash the shrimp using plenty of cool tap water. Head shrimp promptly. Heading reduces the amount of ice and storage space required because the head accounts for 35 to 40 percent of the shrimp's body weight. Shrimp heads also contain over 80 percent of the spoilage bacteria found in shrimp. Therefore, headed shrimp are less likely to spoil than those with heads. Leave the shells on shrimp tail meat because they help reduce drying out (freezer burn) during frozen storage.

If you want to eat the shrimp fresh, mix them with ice and store in the refrigerator. Uncooked shrimp should not be kept on ice in the refrigerator for more than 3 to 4 days.

To freeze shrimp in zip-top freezer bags:

Place 1 pound of shrimp in a 1-quart zip- top freezer bag. Fill bag with cool tap water. Lay bag on its side and drain water until bag is almost flattened against shrimp. Quickly zip bag shut and freeze.

To freeze shrimp in half-gallon waxed milk cartons:

Thoroughly wash and sanitize milk cartons using the sanitizing solution described above. Place two pounds of shrimp in a half-gallon waxed milk carton. Fill with cool tap water to within one inch of top. Fold top over, and freeze. After the contents have frozen, open the carton and add more water to cover any exposed shrimp. Then, fold top over again, tape closed, and freeze.

Shrimp frozen by these methods will keep for 4 to 6 months. Keep them solidly frozen. Do not thaw and refreeze. Repeated freezing and thawing reduce shrimp quality and provide a potential for spoilage. Thaw shrimp carefully, either overnight in the refrigerator or under cold, running tap water, immediately before use.

The journey of a 1,000 miles begins with a single step.
    Susann

Fledgling Member

thanks for the answers to freezing shrimp....lots of great advice.
    Merry Christmas!!!

+ Reply to Thread