+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Mei Yen seasoning

Mei Yen seasoning

I have looked every place for Mei Yen seasoning. A few of my favorite recipes require this seasoning. The little I have left is from Spice Island, but it has disappeared from store shelves. If anybody knows where I can purchase a new supply, please help.

Trusted Senior Member

Mei Yen seasoning

hi cormik.
    i have found a substitue for you.
    Mei Yen seasoning 1 tsp = 1 tsp Beau Monde seasoning
    = 1/2 tsp salt
    e-mail spice islands to see if you can get the seasoning if it's still on the market or try an asian isle or asisan specialty store. or other big chain stores they may also carry your spice that your looking for,
    hope that helps
    happy hunting

remember,STRESSED spelt backwards is "DESSERTS"
    happy cooking
    Ron

Mei Yen seasoning

ok if you go online mabey you can fid it on spices.com also i dont kno if this helps good luck.

MEI YEN SEASONING
    A blend of seasonings designed to enhance the natural flavor of most foods without introducing flavor overtones of its own. A delicate seasoning long a favorite in oriental cooking. Intended for seasoning vegetables and mild-flavored meats; also has an affinity for dishes with acid ingredients, such as tomatoes and wine. im sorry i looked all over the place this only wat the had.

Mei Yen Seasoning Substitute

I contacted Spice Islands asking them if they could recommend a substitution for Mei Yen seasoning as several recipes in their cookbook require it and I could find it no where. They responded as follows:

Spice Islands Mei Yen has been discontinued, but you can make your own by combing: 9 parts salt, 9 parts sugar, 2 parts MSG

Combine and store in tightly closed container. To use, if recipe calls for 1 tsp. Mei Yen: use 2/3 tsp. substitute recipe and either 1/8 tsp. bouillon powder or 1/8 tsp. soy sauce.

I have not tried this yet, but was very grateful to Spice Islands for this information.

Trusted Senior Member
    That was a very nice thing you did, considering that the post was 2 1/2 years old. That's why I love this site so much

These posts are a long time apart, but I'm so glad and thankful to Tahoe Woman for finding out this substitute. My mom passed away in 2009 and I have been unable to make one of my all time favorite recipes of hers because it called for Mei Yen -- I tried 5 spice once and I knew it wasn't the right thing but didn't anticipate just how WRONG it was. Can't wait to make her recipe for my dad trying this substitute this weekend. If you ever see this, thank you!

+ Reply to Thread