+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Home Canning Hot Fudge Sauce??

Fledgling Member

Home Canning Hot Fudge Sauce??

Hi,

Can you safely home can hot fudge sauce? I'd like to make it for Christmas gifts, but have not had any luck with preserving methods or times. I've exchanged E-mails with the Ball Canning folks, USDA, and with our county extention office. All say that there is no information one way or the other, and some indicated that dairy is a no-no for home canning. If a recipe calls for canned milk - is that safe? With all the sugar, would you water bath, or use a pressure cooker? Thank you in advance! Tami

Fledgling Member
    I've never canned hot fudge sauce, but this summer I made a raspberry dark chocolate sauce for ice cream that my foodie friends said was the best thing they'd ever tasted. I used the taller, narrower jelly glasses and a hot water bath. If you want the recipe let me know, happy to share. I think dairy is OK to can, and if I was worried at all, I'd use a pressure canner. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    What determines the method of canning is the pH level of what's being canned. Acid foods may be canned in a boiling water bath, but everything else has to be processed in a pressure canner. Fruits, tomatoes (sometimes), jellies, and pickled vegetables are basically all that are canned in a boiling water bath.

You could prepare a batch of your recipe and then test the pH using litmus paper to see if it would fall into the acid foods category.

What determines the length of time to process a particular food is the density/mass and how long it takes the desired temperature to reach the very center of the jar. When they did experiments on canned goods they found that it took a much longer time for the temperature that kills the bacteria/spores in a dense food such as spinach than it did in a non-dense food such as broth. They calculate the time beginning when the optimal temperature reaches the center of the can and adjust the cooking time based on food density.

Thickeners may be a problem, too. If you use any kind of thickener, the only one that was approved for use in home canning last I checked was Clear-Jel, which is a modified food starch. If whole milk were used, the high fat content might either go rancid or cause havoc with the seals of the jar. Most canned milk products are processed in cans rather than jars.

If you can't find any information out there, check store shelves for a similar product and see if they've got artificial preservatives in their version. That would mean that they had found out extra steps were needed (which you probably would want to avoid).

Usually if there's no information readily available, it means that the USDA doesn't recommend it for home canning. Commercial canners may still do it, but they might have to use special means (like the canned milk companies do). Looking back through old canning books would probably get you more information, since they were much more adventurous about canning in days gone by and recent publications have stifled much of the creativity once seen (for good or for worse?).

Good luck with your experimenting!

Fledgling Member
    Blog Entries

canning hot fudge

Quote Originally Posted by tkuehl View Post
    Hi,

Can you safely home can hot fudge sauce? I'd like to make it for Christmas gifts, but have not had any luck with preserving methods or times. I've exchanged E-mails with the Ball Canning folks, USDA, and with our county extention office. All say that there is no information one way or the other, and some indicated that dairy is a no-no for home canning. If a recipe calls for canned milk - is that safe? With all the sugar, would you water bath, or use a pressure cooker? Thank you in advance! Tami

Did you ever find out if it is ok to can hot fudge with dairy--my recipe also has canned milk and butter as well. I have a pressure canner which I thought would make it safe, but it has been hard to get a clear answer....do you have one? chrissie

Fledgling Member
    Blog Entries
    Hi. I'd love your raspberry dark chocolate sauce recipe if you still have it around.....Thanks. chrissie

Trusted Senior Member
    That person hasn't been around since that last post, I don't know if you can still send a PM or not, good luck. If you are successful please fill us in, it sounds wonderful!

No. You can not home can using milk or any dairy product safely. The fat molecules can bind with botulism bacteris protecting it from the heat or even pressure canning. The only methonds of canning milk safely require additives, preservatives and equipment not found or redily available for home kitchens. http://cecentralsierra.ucanr.org/files/101581.pdf

Trusted Senior Member
    I make a chocolate syrup that I keep in the frig. Small amount keeps for weeks. 1/2 cup cocoa, 1/2 cup white sugar, 3/4 cup water. whisk over heat and boil for 3 minutes. stir stir stir or it will burn. remove and add 1 t of vanilla. let cool and put in a clean jar.
    one teaspoon in glass of milk or hot mug of milk. I like it because it is more chocolate than sugar. In the winter I make my own marshmallows to go with it.

I canned some Cream of Celery soup this winter, it had 1/2 and 1/2 in and it went yucky within a week

+ Reply to Thread