+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Leaving Bacon Out Overnight

Leaving Bacon Out Overnight

My MIL recently left a pound of raw bacon on the counter overnight. When I suggested she throw it away because it would be spoiled, she said it cannot spoil because it is cured. Several years ago she left a cooked ham out for several days, then wanted us to eat it. I refused.

Is she right that these foods won't spoil without refrigeration?

Trusted Senior Member

as cold as it is i wouldnt worry about it. yes it is cured but i wouldnt leave it out all the time. when you cook it just make sure it is fully cooked. ive done this before on accident. dont leave it out again tonight tho unless yo have a very cold storage room or cellar with it hanging

happy holidays
    kph

It's not cold here -- was 85 yesterday. Today is cooler.

Do you think it would be okay to use the bacon after being out overnight in a house that's probably 72 - 75 degrees?

Trusted Senior Member

from my experience with my mom had a habit leaving food out all night and eating it the next day I would say as long as the bacon and it is CURED was not in direct heat all night. if it was left on the counter covered I would put it immediatley back into the fridge. cook it thoroghly. you can cut slices or small chunks to put in beans or soup or stews and itll be just fine. just out of curiosity is there a reason why she left out the bacon and ham? my mother was forgetfull lol and from the old school and in those days they did store some foods outside the fridge. if youre that concern, you could call your local butcher and explain to him or her. I personally would not be alarmed as it was only overnight. now if it were more than a day to a week without having cold storage or a cellar I would toss it. If you like just for reassurance I will ask some of my chef friends and post in here.
    AT LEAST IT WAS NOT POULTRY..
    happy holidays
    kph

Trusted Senior Member

this is a reply I got from a chef this am. I had emailed him your request..
    Toss it!

But she is correct in that a properly cured country ham and some Spanish and Italian cured products can be left unrefridgerated without a problem until they are heated once. Some dry box cured bacon can also handle it. But I doubt it was that product she is using, so toss it. And normal food service bacon and store purchased bacon and ham must have refridgeration or it will spoil.

You can tell the stuff that can take non refrideration as on the package it will very clearly state "This product must be cooked to 152 degrees F before serving."

This is required to convert the nitrates that are protecting the food from contamination.

kph

Thank you so much, KPH! She had left the bacon out to thaw, then didn't feel like using it. She "knew" it would be okay and just didn't bother to put it in the fridge after it thawed.

The ham she had baked a couple of days before Christmas and "knew" it would be okay left out until time for Christmas dinner.

Guess I'm paranoid about food poisoning, but I'm very careful. I don't know how she's lived to be 85 without ever having a problem. She must have an iron constitution!

Trusted Senior Member

LOL..makes you wonder..i did with my mom alot. anyways i sent you some more info to your email addy. let me know if it comes thru

happy holidays
    kph

kph u have an answer for evrything and i respect that

Trusted Senior Member

lol...i just help out when I can with the experience I have...come on in and help too! love to see new pple in here posting

happy holidays
    kph

+ Reply to Thread