+ Reply to Thread

Thread: bitter after taste when baking

Fledgling Member

bitter after taste when baking

Whenever I bake banana bread or banana cake, I invariably get a bitter aftertaste from the baked goods, however this disappears after a couple of days. Someone told me it might be from using to much baking soda, but I follow the recipe exactly and still end up with a bitter aftertaste. I was wondering if it was related to the bananas and if it is what can I do about it. Thank you for any all help.

PS: How do you stop banana breads & cakes from sweating and getting that wet stiky top when they are sealed to keep then fresh.

Thanks again Myson

Blog Entries

You can get a bitter after taste from using too high a ratio of baking powder, no matter what the recipe says.

There are several ways to reduce the quantity of baking powder. You can add extra leavening power by whipping air into the eggs or creating an emulsion by beating air into butter and sugar. Some cakes are made without any form of artificial leavening by just using these methods.

You can also reduce the baking powder to a certain extent by replacing 1/3 to half of it with baking soda and an acid ingredient. The acid ingredient is essential when using baking soda, so replace some of the liquid in the recipe with buttermilk, yogurt, sour cream, or a teaspoon of lemon or vinegar juice. I routinely reduce my baking powder in recipes and have great results. Baking soda is not double-acting, so you'll need to preheat the oven and pop in your batter right away.

Try also switching to a different baking powder brand. I find the cheapest ones have the most objectionable effects.

======
    CM

http://www.cooks.com

Fledgling Member

thank you vey much, I will try that and let you know how it works out.

+ Reply to Thread