We have a recipe for "Creamy Overseas Fudge" in my family. The recipe comes from the time of World War II, and I think it came from a Winnipeg newspaper.

The recipe (see below) says to cook the sugar to soft ball, but my Mum misunderstood how to test for soft ball, so we keep cooking the sugar until it forms a ball when dropped in the water. We don't take it out of the water.

Instead of being creamy like fudge, it gets somewhere towards having a bit of a snap. (It's a wonderful texture ...)

Here's the recipe. I have changed the instructions to say "somewhere between soft ball and hard ball", but after actually testing what was in the water today, I think it might be past hard ball. (I guess I should get a candy thermometer and find out what temperature I'm heating it to. :-)

1 c brown sugar
1 c white sugar
1/4 c corn syrup
1 tbsp butter
1 or 2 squares chocolate
1 tsp cornstarch
1/2 c milk

1 tsp vanilla at the end

Pre-butter a pan or glass dish. Boil everything except the vanilla to somewhere between soft and hard ball. Remove from heat and add vanilla. Beat until it starts to stiffen. Pour into the pan. Let it cool a bit then cut into squares.