Thread: can openers

can openers

We open a lot of cans. (Large dog, sensitive stomach.) We've been buying Walmart manual openers, which don't last. I don't mind expensive, if I could just find durable. Any suggestions?

Trusted Senior Member
    I use an electric opener with a knife sharpener. Less than $10. at Walmart. Had it for over 10 years. The blade comes off to clean it. Don't think you need to spend a lot on it but that's just me. Kitchen Works.

Trusted Senior Member
    I've had good luck with OXO and Kitchen-Aid brands, used them both in professional kitchens....

Trusted Senior Member
    I have a 40 year old manual opener that's still going strong. I checked the brand and it's Swing A Way. Don't know if they're still made. Or if so, how well made the modern ones might be. But the old one's very sturdy and quite easy to turn.

A couple years ago I gave my Mom one of those sideways openers, which cut horizontally into the side of the can rather than cutting down into the edge of the lid. The ads made much of the fact that it wouldn't leave you with sharp-edged cutouts to throw away, but neglected to mention that the rim of the opened can was left razor sharp. I figured it might be easier for her to turn the crank on this one but it ended up being just as difficult as the regular type. And the thing broke after only a few uses anyway. Not a product I'd recommend to anyone.

Trusted Senior Member
    I have a swing away hand held that I use most of time. We had one wall mounted at the cottage for over 30 yrs. worked perfectly. Still making the wall mount and hand held. Try amazon or walmart.

Red face

Hi there, I would suggest that you buy Black and Decker Can Opener with Knife Sharpener. It works wonder in the kitchen.

just buy a Black and Decker electric I had mine for 10 years and it is still ok