+ Reply to Thread

Thread: KitchenAid Artisan 5 qt. mixer

Highly Valued Senior Member
    Blog Entries

KitchenAid Artisan 5 qt. mixer

I've been searching the internet for a decent price on one for a while now. Finally found one at everythingkitchens.com; no tax and no shipping costs. It arrived yesterday, I'm going to make 'Cuban-style grilled pork tenderloin' from Jim Tarantino's book and bake a chocolate cake from scratch (using the Artisan) to celebrate the new toy. I can put my Hamilton-Beach model 21 stand mixer in semi-retirement. The model 21 is still a great little mixer, I'll use it for meringues, whipped cream and such.

Does the bowl revolve on either one?
    I do not like a fixed bowl. It's soooo much easier to scrape the sides while mixing when the bowl sits on a lazy susan type stand.
    I'll never own a KitchenAid cuz the bowl is fixed.
    Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...

Highly Valued Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Nope it is fixed, the beater does an orbital rotation while it spins. It has a splash guard so you don't have to turn the mixer off to add ingredients. I used the flat beater today for the cake mix, I stopped the mixer once to scrape the bowl then the beater is so close to the bowl it mixes everything thoroughly. I got it mostly for sweet dough and bread recipes; to get them past the sticky phase; I still like to hand knead, it is therapeutic. In the past I mixed the ingredients by hand which isn't bad; sometimes I just don't feel like going through that. I'm curious to see if it has enough power to mix yeast dough.

My Hamilton-Beach has a turntable and I like it a lot for icings and lighter mixes. And the power head comes off really easy so I can store it in the appliance garage I built on the top back and behind the stove (the stove is in a corner). I have to scrape the bowl often because the double beaters don't go near the sides.

The kitchenAid is one piece and is designed to stay on the counter. So far I like it, and everyone I know that has one really likes theirs, so we will see. My only concern is the power (325 watts); I will know that in time.

Trusted Senior Member
    Ah. but Kitchenaid has a blade that scrapes the sides for you! Stand back and watch in wonder!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
    Ah. but Kitchenaid has a blade that scrapes the sides for you! Stand back and watch in wonder!!!!
    Ah, back. LOL Every YouTube I ever watched has always said to scrape the sides down. What a hassle it is to watch, let alone do.
    :-)
    Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...

Trusted Senior Member Big Daddy's House's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thegrindre View Post
    Ah, back. LOL Every YouTube I ever watched has always said to scrape the sides down. What a hassle it is to watch, let alone do.
    :-)

Both of my KA Stand Mixers have the Beater Blade, which thorougly scrapes the bowl for you as they mix things like cake batters.

I think KarenB is describing the KA Flex Edge Beater, with I also have for the slightly smaller machine. That one still leaves a thin line of cake batter at the top, which has to be scraped down. But it DOES manage to be pretty convincing. only one side of it has the silicone scraper blade, while the Beater Blade has s silicone scraper on both sides.
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Here are pics of what they both look like.
    Attached Images
    ~BDH.

Trusted Senior Member
    Yep. that's what I was talking about. Don't have anywhere near the toys you do.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
    Yep. that's what I was talking about. Don't have anywhere near the toys you do.

You'll get there someday. It's just a matterr of time.
    ~BDH.

+ Reply to Thread