+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Using allspice and nutmeg in Swedish meatballs.

Fledgling Member

Using allspice and nutmeg in Swedish meatballs.

I am planning on making Swedish meatballs using a recipe that calls for both of the above spices. I am a little nervous about doing so, since I have only used both in pumpkin pie. I associate those spices with sweetness, and not something I would ever think about putting in meat. My question is, has anyone ever used these spices with meat, or in Swedish meatballs, and does it taste sweet? Does it taste different in a savory dish rather than sweet? Any help and advice would be greatly appreciated!

Highly Valued Senior Member
    You haven't posted your recipe; but off-hand I would say go ahead and follow same. Allspice is often used with beef, and the nutmeg is a very traditional Swedish spice. Just maybe use a tad less than your recipe calls for; the flavor will not be quite as strong. The Swedish Meatballs have sort of a sweet and sour taste (more sweet than sour, I would say.) and I don't think you can go wrong..... Sounds good to me (I'm 1/2 Swede)

BTW, welcome, nebusoi; let us know how your recipe turns out!

Fledgling Member
    Hi, al dente'! I like the name since that is how I like my pasta. Thank you for the reply. I will post the recipe below. I am feeling confident after reading more and from what you said. I've just recently started experimenting with new flavors, hence the reason I am trying this recipe. My natural cooking knowledge is fairly basic, but my taste buds are craving more.

2 slices of day old white bread
    1/2 cup heavy cream
    1 tsp butter
    1 small onion
    11 oz ground beef
    5 oz ground pork
    1 egg
    1 tbs brown sugar
    1 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp black pepper, allspice, and nutmeg (1/4 each)
    1/8 tsp ginger
    1 tbs butter
    1/4 cup chicken broth
    3 tbs all purpose flour
    2 cups beef broth
    8 oz sour cream

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).Place the bread crumbs into a small bowl, and mix in the cream. Allow to stand until crumbs absorb the cream, about 10 minutes. While the bread is soaking, melt 1 teaspoon of butter in a skillet over medium heat, and cook and stir the onion until it turns light brown, about 10 minutes. Place onion into a mixing bowl; mix with the ground beef, ground pork, egg, brown sugar, salt, black pepper, nutmeg, allspice, and ginger. Lightly mix in the bread crumbs and cream.Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Pinch off about 1 1/2 tablespoon of the meat mixture per meatball, and form into balls. Place the meatballs into the skillet, and cook just until the outsides are brown, about 5 minutes, turning the meatballs often. Insides of the meatballs will still be pink. Place browned meatballs into a baking dish, pour in chicken broth, and cover with foil.Bake in the preheated oven until the meatballs are tender, about 40 minutes. Remove meatballs to a serving dish.To make brown gravy, pour pan drippings into a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk the flour into the pan drippings until smooth, and gradually whisk in enough beef broth to total about 2 1/2 cups of liquid. Bring the gravy to a simmer, whisking constantly until thick, about 5 minutes. Just before serving, whisk in the sour cream. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Serve the gravy with the meatballs.

I am making it tomorrow and will take photos and let you know how it turns out. Thank you for the welcome!

I would say use half the recommended amount of those spices in question.... they are powerful.

Esteemed Member
    Either way the recipe sounds beaut! Ease back on the spices this time, perhaps, and next time round you'll know exactly how you want it. A nice salad, a bowl of tzatziki and all should be well in the world. Welcome aboard and thanks for the recipe.

Off subject a little but I use nutmeg in Beef Stroganoff

Trusted Senior Member
    Today Jamie Oliver used smoked paprika and allspice on chicken breasts. Created a blackened crust. He should know.

Fledgling Member
    Just so everyone knows, I ended up using exactly what the recipe called for and it turned out AMAZING. Everyone loved it and I had compliments on these being the best meatballs they ever tasted. Thanks!

Highly Valued Senior Member
    Hi, Nebusoi - Glad the recipe was pleasing for you and your guests. That's what we like to hear! Yay!

+ Reply to Thread