+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Interesting article on food for the sick -

Highly Esteemed Member

Interesting article on food for the sick -

Not talking about comfort food but proper restorative meals for the ill - "chicken soup good, congee better". Her main point is that cookery books today make no mention of it and I must agree. No beef tea, coddled egg, barley water or peach foam - stuff that's genuinely good for sick people and can be consumed without too much difficulty. Not sure about the savoury liver custard, but hadn't heard of milk jelly since I was seriously busted up as a lad. What think others?

Highly Valued Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    For acute illness like the flu and stomach ‘bugs’ I make a broth of diced vegetables like carrots, celery, potatoes, onion and add chicken or beef chopped in small pieces, fresh herbs (just a pinch of salt) and simmer it for a while. I pour it through a strainer and serve the broth warm at least once a day. The rest of the time 100% fruit juices ( often cut 50% with water), depending upon which ones can be tolerated. After a while a slice of dry toast with the broth and then the broth with the veggies & meat.

By definition these illness will run their course and this regiment insures hydration and some vitamin and mineral intake.

Fortunately I haven’t had to deal with chronic illness.

Trusted Senior Member
    With my asthma and arthritis ( lucky me) I do a lot of cooking with anti inflammatory herbs and spices. Turmeric, garlic and ginger are the three I use the most.

Back in the 1800's they used barley water for sick people. I know Lord Byron used it when he was ill in Italy with fever. Many older remedies have been lost. I think it is good to revive them. This world has survived this long by using them. Food is very healing. I was always given milk toast as a kid when I was sick. I love it to this day.

I personally drink a lot of tea with a lot of raw honey and lemon juice in it. It make me pee constantly. LOL
    I also make homemade chicken vegitable soup.
    Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...

Trusted Senior Member
    You can't get much healthier than that combo.

I don't know if it actually makes me 'heal' any faster but I do know it makes me feel much better while going through it. LOL
    Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...

I have caught a little cold right now.... I think I will drink the honey/lemon combination. Just woke up sniffly this morning. it won't stop raining here and is so cold on top of that.

Trusted Senior Member
    It will help. You can also try yoga exercise for the nose. Stop laughing it works! Have tissue handy. Breath through your nose with deep breath. gradually increase speed and maintain for 2 min. ( I usually can't do it that long. decrease speed gradually and return to normal. put light pressure on face just beside each nostril and gently massage for a minute. This should clear you. Then again there is always the steam with salt and rosemary.

Highly Valued Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
    With my asthma and arthritis ( lucky me) I do a lot of cooking with anti inflammatory herbs and spices. Turmeric, garlic and ginger are the three I use the most.
    I used to have terrible asthma and I buy local honey that hasnt been pasteurized. It took about 6 or 7 months but I was able to get rid of the meds. A side benefit is I dont get allergy head any more either.

+ Reply to Thread