Closed Thread

Thread: Diet websites

Trusted Senior Member

Diet websites

What diet/health website do you use? Have they helped?
    I was "shopping" around the sites this morning looking for a miracle
    I need to focus on one and stick with it.
    Prevention has good info on everything. Until I went to sign in and page not found! Somebody goofed up.
    Eatingwell is great but doesn't have diary etc, to track
    Sparkspeople okay, cluttered in the past. They have cleaned up their site
    Realage is also good kind of leaning towards it or sparkspeople
    Livestrong another good one
    Heart and Stroke Ontario

How will I choose? What do you recommend?

So help me choose. I have to loose weight. I have to get healthier and I figured the bunch of you know me well enough to get me to be accountable and especially tell me off when I need it.
    Opinions please.............

Karen, as a friend, it's very simple. Cut your carbohydrates down and increase your protein intake. It's worked for me since the '60s.
    You need to exercise, too... but I never did and still don't.
    It's the carbohydrates protein imbalance that's killin' ya. You need to turn 'em around. And, beans have a ton of protein in 'em.
    Other then that, eat as you usually do and DON'T go on a diet.
    Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...

Trusted Senior Member
    Hate beans. And I could write a book on healthy eating but I'm looking for a site to use as a tracking tool.

Trusted Senior Member
    Hi Karen, thegrindre is right, cut carbs and increase protein. I know you want the easy fix, but there is not one. You can go to weight watchers, that works for lots of people and you eat real food. You also have to focus on your goal. When I was diagnosed with type 2, even you recommened some great sites. That is the diet you want to follow. Go to the ADA or whatever they may have in canada and follow their rule. It works, they have great recipes and charts. I have still kept the 30 lbs off and am getting ready to loose some more. You have to change out recipes to make them more healthy. Like switching your white flour to white whole wheat etc. I put the date and nut muffin recipe up here and I am telling you it was the first thing that I did that helped me the most. It is good, it is filling and it is healthy. If you make just one or two changes a week or a month you will be on your way. We can all give support, but I have been on this site for quite a while now and it is a cooking site and it is filled with things that are not good for us.Good, but not for us who really want to loose some pounds. Plus the fact is that I think most of us (not all, so please, some of you do not get offended) are a little over-weight if not a lot over-weight. Maybe we should start a thread about healthy eating and switching out things like I did with the muffins. It can be done and we can all help each other. I for one could still use help even though I think I am doing better than what I was. I still fall down and sometimes it takes awhile to get back up. I care, and I think a lot of the others do also. There are a lot of fabulous cooks on this site and that is what makes it so easy to cook and gain. Let ME know what I can do to help.
    Beverly

I thought I might add, it doesn't happen over night, either. It takes time and the pounds will fall off very slowly but they will fall off.
    Don't give up because you don't see any radical changes. It's a very slow process.
    You don't eat beans or meat so I don't know where you'd get protein from but that needs to be greater then carbs, so to speak.
    Rick

Trusted Senior Member
    Ah but I am a meat eater. Just gave up beef. Seems to have no flavour for us any more. We have committed to vegetarian 2 x a week more fish, chicken and pork. I'm trying to find beans in a puree form. It's the texture.

Yeah, me too. Just don't care for it.

OK, good! My Pinto Beans that I've been raving about can be made into 'refried'. No texture there and I don't refry them, too greasy and fatening. I just squish 'em into mush is all I do.
    I slice a chicken breast up then add tomato, onion, parsley, chili powder and my squished beans then make a burrito out of it. Yummy Good!
    This can be done with most any bean, BTW.
    Adding a little flavor to them is recommended. I add a little garlic powder, butter and Italian Seasoning when cooking them. I also chop up a couple tablespoons or so of onion rather then onion powder.
    I'm single and only cook 3/4 cups which nets me about two or three servings.
    Try mushing your beans. That will kill any texture.
    Last edited by thegrindre; 2013-01-08 at 07:05 AM.
    Rick

Portions, baby, portions! I tend to overdo on that, esp when facing my favorite things. If we can control portions, we have begun to control calories and calories are the enemy. Get really hungry? Do what a friend of mine does. I like it too. Open a can of green beans, heat them up and eat the whole thing. They are very, very low in cals and very good for adding green to your diet. Lay off the white bread. I also keep a glass of water nearby. When I feel hungry I take a big gulp of that. Better than a cookie and NO cals. Keep the water iced. That takes more energy for your body to heat, hence it is better than room temp water. Bran flakes always help do the trick, too. I eat those every morning with skim milk and juice. get in the habit. I weigh 110 and I try my best to keep it that way. Ain't easy, cos I love cooking, but I consider it to be more important. Hahahaha! Don't eat too much and then hate yourself in the morning.

Trusted Senior Member
    Thanks everyone for you input but I'm really just looking for a website with good tracking. I think I've decided on sparkpeople.

Closed Thread