+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Mixers: Too many options

What do you think Big Daddy?

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy's House View Post
    Great to hear!! You'll be very happy with ih, I'm sure!! Like I am with mine!!
    Could not decide on the best option from the wisk to the paddle on this recipe.. Neither worked to my liking.. I started with the paddle as the cream cheese was still pretty firm and then once I added eggs I switched to the beater.. I was not happpy with either option.. Everything stuck to the paddle and the beater seemed to over blend. Based on this recipe what do you think I should have used with my new kitchen aid..?
    Parmigiano Cheescake with Pears
    Prep:30 min. Bake: 1hour 45 min. Cool:45 min.
    1/4 cup crisp rye cracker crumbs
    1 ounce freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese ( 1/4 cup)
    1 Tsp. butter, melted
    4 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    4 eggs
    1 1/2 pounds freshly grated parmigiano- reggiano cheese (6 cups),( I know this sounds redundant but it is written as such)
    2 ounces shredded gruyere cheese ( 1/2 cup)
    1/3 cup snipped fresh chives
    1/4 tsp. cracked white peppercorns
    Fresh asian pears or other pears, cored, cut into wedges and tossed with lemon juice. Along side assorted crackers.
    1.stir together cracker crumbs and the 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese. Butter a 9 inch spring form pan with half of the butter. sprinkle about 3 Tsp of crumb mixture into the pan, lightly dusting the sides and bottom of pan. Cut remaining buter into the remaing crumbs mixture and set asside.
    2. preheat oven 300F. Beat cream cheese and whipping cream with mixer med. speed until smooth. Add eggs, combine, stir in 6 cups of parmigiano-reggiano cheese, gruyere cheese,chives, and peppercorns with rubber spatula. Pour mixture into preppared crust. spread evenly . Sprinkle remainign crumbs over top.
    3. put pan on cookie sheet in oven and bake for 1 3/4 hours. cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. loosen crust around edges of pan and cool for an additional 30 minutes more.
    Wa la! Enjoy!

Trusted Senior Member Big Daddy's House's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat View Post
    Could not decide on the best option from the wisk to the paddle on this recipe.. Neither worked to my liking.. I started with the paddle as the cream cheese was still pretty firm and then once I added eggs I switched to the beater.. I was not happpy with either option.. Everything stuck to the paddle and the beater seemed to over blend. Based on this recipe what do you think I should have used with my new kitchen aid..?
    Parmigiano Cheescake with Pears
    Prep:30 min. Bake: 1hour 45 min. Cool:45 min.
    1/4 cup crisp rye cracker crumbs
    1 ounce freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese ( 1/4 cup)
    1 Tsp. butter, melted
    4 8-ounce packages of cream cheese
    1/2 cup whipping cream
    4 eggs
    1 1/2 pounds freshly grated parmigiano- reggiano cheese (6 cups),( I know this sounds redundant but it is written as such)
    2 ounces shredded gruyere cheese ( 1/2 cup)
    1/3 cup snipped fresh chives
    1/4 tsp. cracked white peppercorns
    Fresh asian pears or other pears, cored, cut into wedges and tossed with lemon juice. Along side assorted crackers.
    1.stir together cracker crumbs and the 1/4 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese. Butter a 9 inch spring form pan with half of the butter. sprinkle about 3 Tsp of crumb mixture into the pan, lightly dusting the sides and bottom of pan. Cut remaining buter into the remaing crumbs mixture and set asside.
    2. preheat oven 300F. Beat cream cheese and whipping cream with mixer med. speed until smooth. Add eggs, combine, stir in 6 cups of parmigiano-reggiano cheese, gruyere cheese,chives, and peppercorns with rubber spatula. Pour mixture into preppared crust. spread evenly . Sprinkle remainign crumbs over top.
    3. put pan on cookie sheet in oven and bake for 1 3/4 hours. cool on wire rack for 15 minutes. loosen crust around edges of pan and cool for an additional 30 minutes more.
    Wa la! Enjoy!

The flat paddle beater, which you started out with, IS the one to use for this type of recipe.

It is for general-purpose mixing for such things as cake batter, cheesecake batter, as well as for creaming butter & sugar together, making pie fillings and for making cookie dough.

The dough hook, as you know is for kneading bread dough, pizza dough and other yeast dough, such as for dinner rolls as well.

The wire whip is mainly for beating and aerating air into such things as egg whites for meringue, and whipped cream.

Sounds to me like the cream cheese was not quite at room temp, making it difficult to beat. Try it next time with the cream cheese at room temp, or it will be a problem beating.
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Thanks much............................

You welcome!

I just baked some Twinkies for the first time, and since it involves creaming butter, sugar and eggs for cake batter, I used the flat beater, the Beater Blade for scraping the sides of the bowl while mixing.
    ~BDH.

Trusted Senior Member
    The dough hook is also good if you need to fold something into a batter. Used on the slowest setting it will gradually blend the ingredients. I've used the whip to mash potatoes but watch it closely. It works fast and could turn them into glue. Just a couple of turns and your done. Whip hook also used for beating fudge and making marshmallow and breaking up some lumpy brown sugar. Now you know why my Kitchenaid (appropriately named) is on my counter 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
    The dough hook is also good if you need to fold something into a batter. Used on the slowest setting it will gradually blend the ingredients. I've used the whip to mash potatoes but watch it closely. It works fast and could turn them into glue. Just a couple of turns and your done. Whip hook also used for beating fudge and making marshmallow and breaking up some lumpy brown sugar. Now you know why my Kitchenaid (appropriately named) is on my counter 24/7.

So is mine. It is always out in thekitchen and ready to go, should it be need for food prep!!
    ~BDH.

KarenB & Big Daddy,

This information is all very helpful.. Thank you both.

I've been cooking for a long time but have stayed away from baking for the most part, so this is all new for me..
    I have always taken the long way around with any of my cooking until just resently when I saw the light and decided to buy the equipment to get the job done.
    I have wanted a mixer forever but just didn't stop long enough to buy one. I also just purchased a mandolin at William Sonoma and cannot wait to try it out.. I can smell potatoes au-gratin baking when I think of it......2013 will be all about food!!!

Quote Originally Posted by pittypat View Post
    KarenB & Big Daddy,

This information is all very helpful.. Thank you both.

I've been cooking for a long time but have stayed away from baking for the most part, so this is all new for me..
    I have always taken the long way around with any of my cooking until just resently when I saw the light and decided to buy the equipment to get the job done.
    I have wanted a mixer forever but just didn't stop long enough to buy one. I also just purchased a mandolin at William Sonoma and cannot wait to try it out.. I can smell potatoes au-gratin baking when I think of it......2013 will be all about food!!!

Way to go!!!

I'm sure that you'll be discoverying new things that you probably never made before!!!
    ~BDH.

Trusted Senior Member
    As in any skilled trade.....you need to have the equipment to get the job done like a pro!

I hear ya! Just made a Caramel Cake.. Yum..

+ Reply to Thread