+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Dreaded Fruitcake.....

Highly Valued Senior Member

The Dreaded Fruitcake.....

I made dark fruitcake last week; getting ready to make light fruitcake tomorrow. I thought to see what recipes popped up under 'applesauce fruitcake.' Much to my surprise, there were quite a few recipes under that category, on Cooks.com.

Personally, I am a big fan of dark fruit-cake. My childhood home never allowed the stuff over the doorsill; So, I am wondering how you folks all across the continent (and up and down the continent) feel about the ubiquitous fruitcake? (door-stop, football, re-gift, hate, love?) And how about the feelings of you off-shore folks? FruitcakeForum? My curiosty knows no bounds....

Try www.madeinoregon.com/AbbyFruitcake. If you like friutcake this is worth trying.. A friend sends a small cake to me for Christmas every year.. indulge!!!!

Trusted Senior Member Auntymimi's Avatar
    My mother in-law makes a fruit cake cookie. Not to bad, you can have a couple with a cup of tea and not worry about finishing a whole cake before it dries out.

Ok, I guess fruitcake is too passe' for even commenting.... meanwhile, I am scarfing the delicous dark, and tasty lite, that I made today....

al dente',

I bet the monks at the Abby would share their recipe..Then it would be "Holy Fruit Cake"!!!

Cheers!

As far as fruitcake goes, I have made several and the ones I really like best were the ones that were VERY moist. I always made white ones, but couldn't really tell that much difference in them from the dark ones. The light ones had lots of pineapple and cherries, but all the other candied fruit too. I put cognac over mine and wrapped them tightly for a week or so before serving. I am not crazy about fruitcake, but they were good as far as fruitcake goes.

The light fruit cake was totally delicious; the taste of pecans stood out amidst buttery batter undertones. Haven't tried the dark yet.

I made a steamed English pudding type fruitcake November a year ago; got that out and have been nibbling on it. Very rich and decadent. A dollop of whip cream, oh, my! So now I know that the steamed puddings will keep more than a year; let me see about regular old fruitcake.....

Seems all the local markets are out of fruitcake necesseties. Will have to order online.... If I make more. Oh, heck, just thinking about fruitcake makes me slather.... My bad!

So many types of Fruit Cake? Need help and a recipe

Hello,

I have decided I would like to make an older friend a Fruit Cake. I was taken back by how many recipes are out there and how different they are!
    An older friend (in his late 70's) said he just can't find a good fruit cake anymore and that they don't make them like they use to.
    With this given information, what would be a good recipe to try? I see some are made with liquor;my friend is a recovered alcoholic.
    Am I correct in assuming a Fruit Cake soaked in any form of alcohol would be a bad idea?
    I would appreciate a history lesson on Fruit Cake as well as a recipe.

Thank you,

Christina

Hi, Cava Mom! Welcome to the Forum! First off, ask your friend if he favors light, or dark, fruit-cake. I agree with your thought that any kind of alcohol is not a good idea for this person. Then see what part of the US (or elsewhere?) this person remembers enjoying fruitcake. Believe it or not; fruitcake is regional! When you get answers to these two questions, then you can start looking for a recipe that fits his taste.

I generally make fruitcakes and store them for a year before we bring them out to eat..... So, your time-line for this year will not allow the cake to ripen. Since most of the recipes I have come across are huge, you will need to look at the smaller recipes in your chosen flavor. Also, nuts might be difficult for an older person to chew.

Might I suggest you look at recipes in older Better Homes and Gardens books, or Betty Crocker. Sunset magazine has some interesting offerings that are a little different. I have come across some recipes for Fruit Cake Cookies, they don't need to be ripened, you can eat them as they come off the baking sheet. Yum!

Well, time to go start supper. Hope the above gets you headed towards making your Holiday Treat!

Last night I brought out the two fruit-cakes made December 19 and 20, 2012. They have been wrapped in multiple layers of foil, and stored in my dark pantry.

The dark fruit-cake stored very well. It is moist and flavorful. Light cake has dried out a bit, but is still edible. No flavor stands out. I will moisten with a little whiskey before serving again.

Near or after Christmas, I will make a batch to eat half, and store half. I'm thinking to maybe freeze the light one, since all the good flavors have mellowed out to indiscernible. But the dark will get stored the same way, again. Try different recipes every year, so no two are alike. I'm a goof for variety! And besides, I should live so long to try them all......

Think I'll make another English-style steamed pudding. The last one, while a lot of work (unfamiliar territory) was truely delicious, and worth the effort.

+ Reply to Thread