+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: cheesecloth substitute for slow cooking duck

See if you can find a deep fry basket that would fit inside slow cooker. If it has a handle that sticks out too far you could have it trimmed off.. some are aluminum and easy to cut I would imgine..may not be pratical but then again it might work..

Highly Valued Senior Member
    Blog Entries
    Karen B
    Thankyou for the link. I just showed it to my wife and she agreed to give them a try. I just ordered a set, we were both a little concerned about scratching the finish on the crock. Thanks, they look like they may work. I'll let you know when they come in and I get to try them out.

Well, Rob2012... if I would have taken the time to see all the responses to your inquiry I would have seen my recommendation (or a similiar one)was already looked at.. anyway I'm new to the site and just typing away.. good luck and happy cooking!
    Last edited by pittypat; 2012-12-21 at 03:21 PM. Reason: typo

Trusted Senior Member
    Had another thought. Not sure what to call them now but they were boil -in-bag. I think you can buy cooking bags to put a roast beef or a turkey in the oven. Cooks in its own juices and doesn't splatter around then you just dispose the bag. Not sure if they are BPA free or not.

Trusted Senior Member

Blog Entries
    AussieBrian
    One step I forgot to mention is to pierce the skin of the duck with a fork, knife or whatever suits you to allow the fat to escape.

Trusted Senior Member
    I saw that on the food network yesterday. Chef pierced under the thigh since there seemed to be a large pocket of fat there. I cooked a duck once. years ago when I was first marriage. Threw it out. gross. my cooking not the duck

Esteemed Member
    Hey Rob, old mate, I owe you a beer! Used a little chicken for two instead of a duck and my only other change was to switch the orange in the stuffing for mango and passionfruit. Once it was finished I blended and thickened the cooking juices as a heated sauce and served it all on a platter with lettuce, rock melon, honeydew, papaya and strawberries. (It's midsummer, after all.) Got a cuddle for my troubles, thank you.

Blog Entries
    AussieBrian:
    I tried a whole chicken with the same recipe yesterday and included garlic inside and mushrooms outside the chicken and we like it (not as good as the duck though). Ill have to give the mango and passion fruit a try! Im going to try some more conventional recipes in the slow cooker, so far the ones I have tried are exceptionally good. Im glad you both enjoyed it.

Cooking duck Linda Style and don't laugh. A few years ago I wanted to make peking duck and found the recipe in a chinese cook book in our local library. it said to separate the skin from the flesh using compressed air. The only thing I had at the time was my younger sons dive tank, looked very funny, the duck suspended over the kitchen taps with his mouth piece up its bum, Worked like a charm, cooked it in the oven on a trivet, all the fat drained off and the skin was lovely and crispy

+ Reply to Thread