+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: cheesecloth substitute for slow cooking duck

Highly Valued Senior Member
    Blog Entries

Smile cheesecloth substitute for slow cooking duck

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this site. Yesterday I cooked my first whole duck in a slow cooker and it turned out awesome.
    I made a cheesecloth harness to lower and remove the cooked duck so it wouldn’t fall apart when removed. The problem I encountered is that almost all of the duck fat was absorbed by the cheesecloth and lost. My question is: Does anyone know of a stainless steel mesh harness that will fit in a slow cooker so the majority of the duck fat will not be lost? Or another method of removing the duck without having it fall apart? Thanks, Rob2012

Trusted Senior Member
    How about making your own? go to the hardware store or craft store and buy 1/2" or 1" chicken wire. They sell it by the foot so you will be able to double it and still have plenty. It will bend to the shape you want and can even be put in the dishwasher.

Blog Entries
    Karen B, Thanks for the reply. Chicken wire is galvanized and not a good idea to cook in contact with your food for long periods. I went to our local restaurant supply this morning and they have a s/s fryer press (it looks like a commercial fryer basket without the sides) that looks like it will fit in the slow cooker pot, it will be close. I’ll bring the pot to the store tomorrow morning and if it fits I can cut off the handle and go to the dollar store and buy two cheap meat forks, the kind that bend easily and fashion two hooks out of them. Thanks again for the reply. Rob 2012

Esteemed Member
    I'll be honest, Rob, I've just never had much luck cooking duck. Mind you, neither have I ever thought to do it whole in a slow cooker. Would really appreciate knowing more about how you've gone about it because it sounds great. Cheers and beers, B.

Trusted Senior Member
    So my other research suggested panty hose! okay seriously now why not just buy a silcone chicken lifter.

Blog Entries
    AussieBrian I used a Hamilton-Beach 5 qt. slow cooker with a temperature probe. I bought a 5-1/2 lb frozen duck that I thawed, rinsed, patted dry inside and out with paper towels, then salt & peppered inside and out quite liberally. Then I cut up 3 large carrots and 2 stalks of celery and put them in the bottom of the pot. Then I peeled and sectioned one medium orange, cut up one medium onion and one Macintosh apple (tart) and stuffed these in the cavity of the duck along with 3 sprigs of fresh rosemary and 2 long sprigs of fresh thyme. (Any extra orange, onion & apple were put in after the duck) After placing the duck in the pot I poured 6 ounces of thawed orange juice concentrate on top of the duck, covered the pot, placed the temperature probe in the breast, set the cooker on high and the temp. at 180* F. (should be 185*F but my cooker only goes to 180).
    My wife was home that day so I called later and asked her how long it took for the duck to come to temp (3 hrs. 40 min) and we decided to cook it for 2 additional hours on low. The next step was to put the duck in a conventional oven at 425*F until the skin browned (about 10 minutes).

Side dishes were rice and acorn squash halved, flesh scored and filled with Brummel & Brown and brown sugar and baked.

My wife would not eat the first duck I cooked in a conventional oven but she loved this one…so did I.

Esteemed Member
    That's fantastic, Rob, and sincere thanks. I'll do one early in the new year and follow your recipe exactly (except it's also the middle of our mango season). My only concern is thanks to Karen. Being a single bloke and buying panty hose cos I'm surely not game to ask any of my girlfriends for theirs. Will let you know how it goes.

Trusted Senior Member
    So.just keep this tip in mind next time your having a hard time getting rid of girlfriend!

Blog Entries
    Karen B Silicone and other plastics off-gas when heated; whatever I use has to be able to stay in the pot for the entire cooking process. The fryer press was too big but I did buy a 12inch round s/s cull strainer for a commercial deep fryer. It was damaged and reduced by 60%, so it cost me less than $7.00. This weekend I’ll cut away all the metal framework and re-bend the mesh so it fits in the pot. Im sure I can get it to work.

Hmmm, pantyhose! I never thought of that! Sounds like the beginning of dessert.

Trusted Senior Member
    So I found you some BPA free meat lifters.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Norpro-949-P...-/300799707404

+ Reply to Thread