+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: What to do with Salty Gravy?

Trusted Senior Member Big Daddy's House's Avatar

Lightbulb What to do with Salty Gravy?

The other day, I had a rotisseried chicken breast, stuffing, gravy, scalloped potatoes and mixed veggies for dinner.

But when I made the gravy, I accidentally put too much chicken base in it, making it very unbearably salty!! I was trying to water it down in a desparate attempt to make it lass salty, but it seemed even SALTIER!!

So I was unhappily STUCK with it! But later in the week, I thought of a very brilliant idea on how to use it up and get rid of it without using any additional salt!!! I was cooking some shaved steak with onions, bell peppers and celery.

When it was all done, instead of putting in the usual seasonings, I just added the salty gravy to it and let it cook a little more until the meat was a little tender, and Bang!!! The meat was perfectly seasoned with no added salt!! Had just enough salt to season the meat without it being overly salted!!!

I DID adjust the seasonings in the end, but NO ADDITIONAL SALT WAS NEEDED, so I lucked out and took terrible advantage of the use of the leftover salty gravy!!

So if this ever happens to you, you can improvise on you next meal by using the unbearably salty gravy to your advantage in something else to make the meal perfectly seasoned with no additional salt needed!!
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Trusted Senior Member
    The best way to pull salt out of something like a gravy or soup is to add a potatoe to it and let it cook for awhile. The potatoe pulls the salt from the mixture. The restaurants always do this if it accidentally happens and I have had to do this a few times at home myself.

Quote Originally Posted by BasilRock View Post
    The best way to pull salt out of something like a gravy or soup is to add a potatoe to it and let it cook for awhile. The potatoe pulls the salt from the mixture. The restaurants always do this if it accidentally happens and I have had to do this a few times at home myself.

I was told that once before, but never thought of it any more, nor have I tried it. Did it work for you?

Anyway, I did solve the problem of being stuck with the salty gravy!! i put it in the freezer, then when I got the idea to put it in the shaved steak, I figured that it would eliminate having to use additional salt in the meat, and that it worked beautifully & perfectly!! It took off to new heights, as it made the meat taste good and better than it ever has before!!!
    ~BDH.

Trusted Senior Member
    Yes it works. I am glad that what you did worked for you. But sometimes you just don't have use for it. The potato works really well if you over salt soup or chili.

I usually put potatoes in soups stews & pot roasts anyway, but still, I try to watch the amount of salt that goes into them.
    ~BDH.

There is always making more without all the salt and combining the two.
    Making more without the offensive ingredient(s) then combining has always worked for me.
    It's the best way I've found, so far.
    :-)
    Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...

Quote Originally Posted by thegrindre View Post
    There is always making more without all the salt and combining the two.
    Making more without the offensive ingredient(s) then combining has always worked for me.
    It's the best way I've found, so far.
    :-)

I thought about that, but then I'd end up with more than I'd need.

I just won't make that mistake the next time. If I use any of the bases in gravy, I'll just add far less than I did before.
    ~BDH.

Add more milk. Adding a potato to soak up the excess is conventional wisdom in SOUP, but haven't attempted itin gravy. Add more milk, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by brigid View Post
    Add more milk. Adding a potato to soak up the excess is conventional wisdom in SOUP, but haven't attempted itin gravy. Add more milk, I think.

I think that the key to it all is to just becareful as to how much base is added to it next time. You can always add, but you just can't take it away!!!
    ~BDH.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Daddy's House View Post
    I thought about that, but then I'd end up with more than I'd need.

I just won't make that mistake the next time. If I use any of the bases in gravy, I'll just add far less than I did before.
    It will keep in the fridge if you make more. Should last for days.
    Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...

+ Reply to Thread