+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Stuffed Sweet Turkey Dressing

Smile Stuffed Sweet Turkey Dressing

I saw this recipe for a stuffed sweet turkey dressing which sounds delicious! I would like to have it as a side dish. My problem is I don't know what temp to use for baking it and for how long, since it won't be stuffed? This recipe was suppose to be for a 12 # bird.

Turkey Dressing ~

*Cranberry, Walnut, Apple Cider Stuffing*

6 cups bread cubes
    1/3 cup chopped onions
    3/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
    3/4 cup frozen cranberries, chopped
    3/4 cup raisins
    1/2 cup chopped walnuts
    1 cup peeled apple, chopped
    1/3 cup chopped celery
    1 1/2 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. pepper
    1/2 cup melted butter
    3/4 cup apple cider.

In a large bowl combine all of the above, mix well. So instead of it being stuffed in the turkey, I would like to have it as a side dish. What I need to know is the temp to bake and for how long?
    Thank you,
    Rosebud46

Highly Esteemed Member
    Sounds terrific. I'd be inclined to wrap it firmly in plastic and steam it. After all, that's what is happening inside the bird.

Trusted Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by AussieBrian View Post
    Sounds terrific. I'd be inclined to wrap it firmly in plastic and steam it. After all, that's what is happening inside the bird.
    Hi AussieBrian. Have a question for you. Can you steam in plastic? won't it melt? I have just never heard of doing this so I am curious. Thanks

Trusted Senior Member
    Use a casserole or slow cooker. I do mine in a slow cooker for 3 hours. Stir every hour. This may help......

http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/...rkey/index.asp

Nice recipe.
    note: wash the raisins sometimes there are stems. gritty.
    core the apple as well.
    as a personal choice I'd saute lightly the walnuts then add the onions and celery to bring out the flavours.

Highly Esteemed Member
    G'day BasilRock, and steaming in plastic is a beaut way to cook certain things. Water in the bottom of a saucepan, a rack of some sort so your food is sitting above the water and in the steam, and put the lid on. Imagine a baby bell pepper stuffed with tuna, avocado, onion and the herbs of your choice. Wrap in a bit of plastic film and steam to your heart's delight. I'll buy you a beer if it doesn't come out perfect.

Highly Esteemed Member
    If concerned about steaming in plastic, use foil instead. Great for making small quantities or prettily shaped individual portions.

Trusted Senior Member
    Stuffings generally are pretty forgiving. You can roast it right alongside your bird at whatever oven temp you're using, foil-covered for moist, or uncovered for dryer & browned on top. Of course it won't take as long to cook as the bird. I'd say putting it in for the last half hour to forty-five minutes should be plenty, and if it isn't quite done enough at that point, you'll have time to leave it in the oven for a while longer while the bird is resting.

Thank you for giving me the easy and perfect way to bake it along side the turkey, at the last 1/2 hour to 45 min. Foil-covered it will be. Have a great Thanksgiving Day!
    Rosebud46

thank you for your reply. Have a great Thanksgiving Day!

+ Reply to Thread