+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Bay Leaves

Trusted Senior Member Auntymimi's Avatar

Bay Leaves

I recently bought a large bag of Bay Leaves, I filled two glass spice jars and still had more than half a bag left! So I took the remainder of the bag to my Mother-in-law and she informed me she doesn't use it! What?!!! Really? I'm stunned........... She said her mother once made a roast with Bay Leaves and it was so spicy the family couldn't eat it. ????? (Swedes). I never thought Bay Leaves to be spicy, is it me? Do you shy away from Bay Leaves? I can't imagine making a soup, stew or sauces without it. I'll have to admit i've never made a Pot Roast with it, but this just seems strange to me. So do you use Bay Leaves?

Trusted Senior Member
    I don't know why, but I alway forget to use them. I do have some though. I made a wreath once out of bay leaves and also hot glued some Rosemary and chili peppers to it also. It was many years ago. You can also put some dried orange and apples slices on it. You can get a sml frame and just either tie them on or hot glue it.

Trusted Senior Member
    I would never think of using a bay leaf unless a recipe called for it. Probably just because I'm not that familiar with what it does to a recipe. Some bay leaves can be spicy but it depends where they are from.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bay_leaf

This summer I used bay leaf in my jars of grains. Keeps the moths away. Also in my cupboards to keep the mice out. Yes. my kitchen had a busy summer even without me in it!

Ok, maybe its me. I use them a lot, didn't know there were different kinds. I don't remember the pkg saying, now I'm curious.

Trusted Senior Member
    Auntymimi, I am with you on this one. Leave it to Karen to inform us of things we usually do not think about. Not only that there are different kinds, but what you can use them for aside from cooking. I have not had a problem lately with pantry moths etc, put I think I will get a bag and put them in my cupboards anyhow. One of my stores sells bags pretty reasonable. I may even try to make a small wreath like I did years ago.

You will see that Bay Leaf is very verstile and doesn't have to be used in any one kind of dish.
    http://www.recipe4all.com/dishes/contain-bay-leaf/

Trusted Senior Member
    thanks Auntymimi, I never thought it was so diverse. I really am not that familiar with it so this was a help.

Trusted Senior Member
    A few months ago I was served a homecooked Filipino dinner including a chicken preparation that was loaded with more bay leaves than I'd ever seen in a single dish- there must have been twenty leaves in the pan. It was highly herbal but not particularly hot-spicy. Tasted wonderful. It would never have occurred to me to try using more than two or maybe three at a time but that chicken was great! It really made me think of bay leaves differently.

I'm still curious about the different types. More research...........

Quote Originally Posted by Auntymimi View Post
    I recently bought a large bag of Bay Leaves, I filled two glass spice jars and still had more than half a bag left! So I took the remainder of the bag to my Mother-in-law and she informed me she doesn't use it! What?!!! Really? I'm stunned........... She said her mother once made a roast with Bay Leaves and it was so spicy the family couldn't eat it. ????? (Swedes). I never thought Bay Leaves to be spicy, is it me? Do you shy away from Bay Leaves? I can't imagine making a soup, stew or sauces without it. I'll have to admit i've never made a Pot Roast with it, but this just seems strange to me. So do you use Bay Leaves?
    Very sparingly. I don't care for the spice that much either. Maybe a quarter leaf or so in a pot of soup.
    One little McCormicks bottle lasts me a loooong time.
    Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...

+ Reply to Thread