+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stock or Broth; Can someone please answer this question for me?

Trusted Senior Member Big Daddy's House's Avatar

Stock or Broth; Can someone please answer this question for me?

Do any of you know the difference between the two, chicken or beef?

I'm told that there IS a difference, but where?

The other day, I made some chicken stock from scrap wing tips (that I had a lot of in the freezer), and put it in the freezer for long-term storage. Or was it chicken broth?

It is so confusing to try to be able to tell one apart from the other!!! Your comments, please.
    Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 2012-11-09 at 09:07 AM.
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Trusted Senior Member
    Broth is a heavier richer version of stock. You made stock. Too make broth you would use a whole chicken. It is more intense. This explains in more detail...........

http://www.souphoopla.com/chicken-stock-and-broth.html

So all those wingstips that I had (there must have been at least 50 or 60 of them) don't classify as having made broth?

I'd probably NEVER boiled a whole chicken. I've always used a turkey carcass, a raw breast frame from a turkey where the breast was removed before cooking, chicken backs or other scraps from poultry that are too unapitising to eat, yet they are too valuable to throw away without making stock or both with them first.

Well, guess that when I post a recipe here that uses such an ingredient, I'll just put chicken or beef broth or stock.
    ~BDH.

Trusted Senior Member
    Nine times out of ten you want stock anyway. It is for soups and gravies and sauces. The broth will boil down to a glaze. Never boil your stock. Your sealing the bones and good stuff will never come out no matter how long you simmer it. Patience! Gentle simmer for a couple of hours. It can even be richer if you roast them first then everything into the pot. I place the chicken and veggies on a cookie sheet and roast until browned.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
    Nine times out of ten you want stock anyway. It is for soups and gravies and sauces. The broth will boil down to a glaze. Never boil your stock. Your sealing the bones and good stuff will never come out no matter how long you simmer it. Patience! Gentle simmer for a couple of hours. It can even be richer if you roast them first then everything into the pot. I place the chicken and veggies on a cookie sheet and roast until browned.

I uwsually do that when making BEEF stock. Didn't think to do it for the chicken stock, but it's nice to know in case I want to do it that way the next time!

And yes, I usually let the chicken stock simmer for at least 3 to 4 hours. For beef stock, I let it go for at lest 7 to 8 hours. Reson being is that beef bones are much bigger, have thicker walls that saurround the marrow and it takes longer for the flavor to come out of the bones and season the stock to perfection.

Also, for beef stock, when browning the bones, and then the veggies on top of the bones, I pour a can of tomato puree on top of everything. Then I quarter at least 2 raw tomatoes and throw them in. The true aroma of the beef stock heavenly fills the house with the delectible tast of veggie soup!!!

Then, when making the actual soup from the stock, I brown 2 large cube steaks in a skillet, let them cool off a little bit, the cut them up into small pieces and add them to tjhe soup. That's my veggie beef soup.

For a quicker style of the classic soup when I don't want to do the long slow process with the bones, I get a beef shank, brown it, add some aromatic veggies, water, a can of tomatoes, let it simmer for about two hours, add mixed veggies, some barley, let it cook until the barley is done, then I take the meat off the shank bone, cut it up and add it back to the soup. So GOOD!!!
    ~BDH.

+ Reply to Thread