+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Is your freezer always so overcrowded with old food?

Trusted Senior Member Big Daddy's House's Avatar

Is your freezer always so overcrowded with old food?

Is your freezer always overpacked and crowded with old stuff that you planed to use, but you never did? Does stuff aways fall out of it when you open the door? Does it always make you so frustrated?

Yesterday, I went to get something out of the frige freezer, and when i did, along came stuff tumbling out and onto the floor!!! I got so fed up with having to go through that, that I decided to rummage through the stuff to see what I don't or probably will never use, and just started the process of throwing stuff away!!

It began to have some room, but it still wasn't enough!! So I took all of the wing tips out and made some stock with them. That did the trick!!!

I now have some room to chill glasses and to make ice!! Feels so good not having stuff fall out of there and having to duck-tape the door to keep stuff in!!! Now someday soon, I'll do the same thing with the deep frezzer!! The next time that it needs defrosting.
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Trusted Senior Member
    I use cardboard boxes in my deep freeze to keep items sorted out. I keep veggies in my kitchen fridge. Just because if I have to go downstairs for them I won't.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
    I use cardboard boxes in my deep freeze to keep items sorted out. I keep veggies in my kitchen fridge. Just because if I have to go downstairs for them I won't.

I take it that your deep freezer is downstairs in the basement, saving room upstairs in the kitchen.

Since I reside in an apartment. the deep freezer is in the apartment's kitchen. It's a small one though, 5.3 cubic feet.
    Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 2012-11-08 at 02:33 PM.
    ~BDH.

Trusted Senior Member
    As strange as it sounds, my freezer is mostly full of ice blocks and gel packs from the hurricane--a full freezer works more efficiently, right?

Trusted Senior Member
    Actually I have a large freezer in the basement. The bottom third is nothing but empty cardboard boxes. Freezers work better on 2/3 full. But K. was smart to get ready for a power outage. I put the boxes in there to prevent me from buying more than I need and get freezer burn. Plus I can't reach the bottom and the arthritis won't let me anyway. Try lifting a 20 lb turkey from the bottom of a freezer? not fun.

Quote Originally Posted by K. Slink View Post
    As strange as it sounds, my freezer is mostly full of ice blocks and gel packs from the hurricane--a full freezer works more efficiently, right?

Yes it does. We both live in New England, and you know how the winter weather gets here.

Even though my deep freezer is packed to the hilt, some space still needs to be obtained, and this is usually done by getting rid of old stuff that you no longer have any use for.

Much like the hard drive in your computer. You have to dump stuff or save it to a DVD or memory stick or flash drive, to make some room on the hard drive to make your pc run smoother and faster.

A freezer is practically the same way. If you keep old stuff around, then you have no room for the meats that you might see on sale at your local supermarket that you might like to buy.

I've begun dumping stuff that i don't want any more. I expect to hopfully be moving up the street into a housing development in a few months, hopefully into a one bedroom apt. It will be smaller than where i am now, and I don't want to take all this junk there with me!!!
    ~BDH.

Quote Originally Posted by KarenB View Post
    Actually I have a large freezer in the basement. The bottom third is nothing but empty cardboard boxes. Freezers work better on 2/3 full. But K. was smart to get ready for a power outage. I put the boxes in there to prevent me from buying more than I need and get freezer burn. Plus I can't reach the bottom and the arthritis won't let me anyway. Try lifting a 20 lb turkey from the bottom of a freezer? not fun.

I think that you will need to get a vacuum food sealer to keep freezer burn at bay.
    ~BDH.

Also, when the freezer is not packed like that, it makes things easier to find. Instead of digging through all that stuff and having some of it fall out!!!
    ~BDH.

Trusted Senior Member
    I have a vacuum sealer. It's been hard to find refills due to it's age. I'm been wrapping in heavy duty foil and using plastic freezer bags with recipe cards inside to control inventory.

Highly Valued Senior Member
    Well, I keep all my science projects in the kitchen fridge. The interesting stuff (pig's ears, pig tails, beef tongue, tripe etc) lives in the garage freezer. Nobody best try to get me to throw that precious stuff out! I did use the pigs ears, and won't be buying any more. (Think flavorful but really crunchy) The pig tails I have a Shanghai recipe, and one from Jamaica. Can't figure out what to substitute for eddoes. Maybe those non-tasty white sweet potatoes?

Anyway, there's a beef brisket in there, a pork shoulder, some bread for making crumbs, broths of the turkey and beef sort, dried fruit, beans harvested and shelled from last year, butter (salted and not) cookies, a bit of naughty candy, dried nuts, frozen veggies (some day) and some ice cream for the Spoiled! Not Guy. and a lot of other things.

I am forcing myself to defrost twice a year, so I have a chance to re-visit some old pals. So far no freezer burn, lately.....

You have a point, Sherm; but I'm gonna ignore it. I just lock the freezer door so it won't pop open.

Karen, I don't fault you for not wanting to visit the freezer, we've all heard about your kitchen floor. You might get attacked going down there!

I think Kim's strategy makes sense; she is ready for devastation from above.....

+ Reply to Thread