+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: pressure cookers

Fledgling Member

pressure cookers

Hi Guys,
    I am new, just signed up today had to retire last year from nursing due to health problems, so I am trying to do old thing better and learn new things as well. I have been cooking since I was 6 yrs old it was cook or starve so I ate a lot of fried potatoes. Mom's had to do what they had to do to.
    I wanted to ask if any of you know of a good electric pressure cookers I am going to buy one this week. I have bought 3 from QVC only to send them back all defective.
    I alway wanted to know if anyone you remember those bundt cakes chocolate macaroon bundt cake very good cake and my husband loved the cakes well they are no long in the stores. I would appreciate any recipe if you have them.
    Thanks Nanny7 in Tx.

Trusted Senior Member
    Check under "cooking equipment" above, you may find what you are looking for.....

Trusted Senior Member Big Daddy's House's Avatar
    I've never owned an electric pressure cooker, but I would imagine that they work just as well as the regular ones that are used on the stovetop.
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Trusted Senior Member

Blog Entries
    Go to Amazon.com and type in "electric pressure cooker" They have a number of them listed and people who buy them rate them. A good way to find out if there is a defect in a certain model. I do this whenever i am going to purchase something I am not familiar with. Then I either buy local or search for the best price online.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob2012 View Post
    Go to Amazon.com and type in "electric pressure cooker" They have a number of them listed and people who buy them rate them. A good way to find out if there is a defect in a certain model. I do this whenever i am going to purchase something I am not familiar with. Then I either buy local or search for the best price online.

It IS best to get an item locally if you can, because ordering online means that you'll be forced to play the "waiting game with either FedEx or UPS on delivery day!!!
    ~BDH.

Here's an item I don't understand.
    Why cook anything under pressure?
    Rick

At my age, 'Happy Hour' is a nap...

Quote Originally Posted by thegrindre View Post
    Here's an item I don't understand.
    Why cook anything under pressure?

Basically, a pressure cooker is the complete oposite of a slow cooker.

When you have plenty of time, and you want to leisurely prepare a meal, especially late at night for the next day or early that day that you plan to eat the meal, then slow cooking is the way to go, because the process helps break down and soften those extremely tough stringy fibers and connective tissues in cheaper cuts of meat, such as a pot roast or beef stew.

But let's also say that you fogot to do that, it's the next day and it's getting kind of late.

Well, a pressure cooker does the exact same thing, except only that it cooks foods about ten times faster than slow cooking, shaving off many hours of cooking time, as you altready know.

The technology here is that;

The internal cooking temp inside a pressure cooker is much higher than ordinary and slow cooking, raising the temp to from about 250 to about 265 degrees, far above the normal boiling temp of 212 degrees. It helps turn normal boiling water into SUPERHEATED boiling water and steam. And the process also pushes virtually all of the air out of the cooker before pressure can be obtained, which allso acounts for the faster cooking. The jiggler helps to control and regulate the pressure to keep it at safe operating levels. And of course, the gasket helps seal the pressure inside.

But one caution should not be overlooked. That is, it is easier to overcook foods in the pressure cooker, whereas in the slow cooker, the unit methodically takes its long slow time to cook foods. It all depends on how you look at it. I hope this helps you understand the fundamentals of pressure cooking.

My mom hade a 6-qt presto unit for many, many , many years! I, also, had one for almost that long. They are good, fast and quick as long as they are used well within their limitations and are not abused in any way!!

This is also the same process that hospitals and dentist offices use to effectively clean and sterilize surgical instruments to kill germs and bacteria on them.
    Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 2013-01-17 at 05:23 PM.
    ~BDH.

Here's some more info for you.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_cooker
    ~BDH.

Pressure cooking also helps maintain precious vitamins and minerals, lost through other cooking methods, including slow cooking.
    ~BDH.

+ Reply to Thread