+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Thanksgiving Holiday approaching, Oh Canada.......anyone else?

Trusted Senior Member

Thanksgiving Holiday approaching, Oh Canada.......anyone else?

The Canadian Thanksgiving is on October 8th. What are you doing? I've decided no more wrestling matches with Tom. He is just too much. Size and leftovers. I like my traditional mashed potatoes, gravy, orange and cranberry relish. Veggies usually roasted. Stuffing made in the slow cooker.
    I'm going with just a Turkey breast this year. Just enough leftovers for soup and sandwiches, maybe crepes. There is usually just the two of us so we don't need a lot. Hubby of 20 years asked for a pumpkin pie. Always told me he hated it, so I accused him of going over edge on me! So I'm glad since I've really missed it. I like one with maple syrup in it. Smooth. Might try it with an oatmeal crust as well for a rich nutty taste.

So what are you making this year?

PS: Attention my American foodies. Here is a hint. I make the Canadian Thanksgiving and use yours as an excuse to have another dinner! I celebrate my ancestry of at least 2 countries. Still working on Ireland and England.

Trusted Senior Member Auntymimi's Avatar
    We kind of started our own tradition of cooking a Duck. Last year we did the Turducken, it was o.k, I'm not sure what we'll do this year. I guess it's time to start thinking about it.

Trusted Senior Member
    Did the turducken change the flavour of the meat? I would think the fats from each would affect the others?

I won't be making anything but a couple of peach pies. I will be at my SO's mother's house, so she is having it mostly catered. I wish I was cooking, but I will be cooking on Christmas and all during that hoilday period.

Trusted Senior Member Auntymimi's Avatar
    It did have different seasonings than the traditional turkey. I think the chicken was the most flavorful, being on the inside and the turkey less changed being on the outside. But the leftovers made the best Jambalaya ever!

http://www.cajungrocer.com/turducken...-dressing.html

Trusted Senior Member
    Interesting website. I don't cook or am I very familiar with the Cajun cuisine. Not a fan of hot spices. I do like to look at sites that are different however just can't get by the gator and frog legs. No thanks I'm a vegan, today.

Had to look up Jambalaya reminded me of paella which I've made. Sort of same method but different pan/pot and spices. Found a good answer describing the difference on yahoo answers three were very detailed but my favourite one was just under the question of "what is the difference between Jambalaya and Paella?" answer "about 4,600 miles".

I found a recipe for pumpkin soufflé I might try. It's made in tiny pumpkins that came from my garden.

Trusted Senior Member
    4,600 miles, that is just priceles!

Trusted Senior Member Cassie-Jane's Avatar
    Thanksgiving... this is just my favorite holiday of the year! Thankfully my Dad does the turkey for our family dinners so I really don't have anything to worry about. We usally do potatoes, squash, turnip, carrots, gravey- yeah the whole shebang! One family tradition are the sweet potatoe casserole made with marshmellows... anyways the kiddies are calling! I'll be back on later
    [FONT=Century Gothic]Cassie~Jane[/FONT]

Trusted Senior Member Big Daddy's House's Avatar
    I'm not cooking this year, at lest not a whole meal!

Too much work, too time-consuming and too expensive!! Not to mention back-breaking and just plain physically exhausting!!

And even THEN, your work isn't done because you still have the massive cleanup to contend with, and the putting away of all that food in the fridge - making room and fighting to get all that stuff in there!!!

Nope, I'm NOT going through that!! I've been invited over to a friend's house, and she just wants me to make some candied yams and maybe some bourbon sweet potato pie.
    Last edited by Big Daddy's House; 2012-11-05 at 08:18 AM.
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Trusted Senior Member
    Good idea. More time for family and friends. I don't do the big dinner any more. If I want turkey I don't care what the calendar says. i like the sound of bourbon sweet potato pie.
    Pumpkin pie is more popular up here in Canada. I found several recipes to look at with bourbon. I had to research since I'm not familiar with it.
    http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/RecipeC...sue=&seasonal=

+ Reply to Thread