+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What is "canela"

Participating Member

What is "canela"

I found a new recipe to try but it call for "2 American sticks of canela" what am I looking for????????? Thanks Anna Marie

Trusted Senior Member
    Canela is just cinnamon, I think that is what Mexican cinnamon is called. If it calls for 2 sticks you can buy them at most grocery stores. If you have ground cinnamon, maybe that can be used. Not sure what you have to do with it in your recipe. Why is says "American" I do not know. I don't know of any cinnamon grown here. I actually use Vietnamese cinnamon that I get from Penzey's. I hope this helps somewhat.

Trusted Senior Member
    Canela is Spanish for Cinnamon. The American refers to South American also Mexican cinnamon. It's not even 8am here and already I've learned something today!

Oh..... and there is a remote and I mean remote village of Canela natives in South America.
    http://anthropology.si.edu/canela/about.htm

Participating Member
    Thank you both !!! I have to boil it with some other spices for the liquid in a Mexican cookie.

Trusted Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by amf1234 View Post
    Thank you both !!! I have to boil it with some other spices for the liquid in a Mexican cookie.
    In that case, if you cannot find the sticks, you can just add some ground into your dry mixture, and get almost the same results. Please let us know how your cookies turned out, and maybe give us the recipe if you think they are good. Which I am sure they will be.

boomerang
    Canela it is also cinnamon in Italian. My favorite ingredient for desserts.

Trusted Senior Member Auntymimi's Avatar
    My husband delivers bread, one of the products is called Roles De Canela, cinnamon roles. The melting pot bubbles and splaters we learn something new that is oh so familiar.

I love cinnamon in so many things... from the obvious rolls to coffee. I just love it! The scent is magic in the house.

Highly Valued Senior Member
    And, of course, everyone knows that cinnamon is really good for controlling blood sugar. A highly recommended ingredient for all you diabetics out there! Besides, what Brigid said, "the scent is magic in the house."

(A good trick for when you go to sell your house is to burn some cinnamon on the cooktop before the realtors show up with clients. Smells just like fresh cookies, and the aroma lasts quite a while. Just get out an aluminum throw-away tin of some sort, shake in about a teaspoon of ground cinnamon (the cheap kind) and turn pilot or burner up to about 3/4, will start to smoke soon. Turn down a bit while it finishes roasting. Turn off and when tin is cool, hide the same til next time.) Unless you're allergic to cinnamon oils!

+ Reply to Thread