+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Tasting Hot Sauce

Tasting Hot Sauce

Is "Cooks Illustrated" serious?? Tobasco Pepper sauce is NOT RECOMMEND?? This is a American Icon. Did Franks payoff to Cooks??
    Sriracha?? Its not a sauce Its a paste
    Franks-Waterdown hot sauce Woosey sauce

Sorry boys, your way off

For this stupidty No way I would renew.

Trusted Senior Member
    Bobhe, I am a little curious on your post. If you are angry with "Cooks Illustrated" from the American Test Kitchen, why do you not go on their site and tell them instead of posting on "Cooks.com? I don't think that they are reading anything here.

Trusted Senior Member
    Ditto, thank you BR..........

Quote Originally Posted by bobhe View Post
    Is "Cooks Illustrated" serious?? Tobasco Pepper sauce is NOT RECOMMEND?? This is a American Icon. Did Franks payoff to Cooks??
    Sriracha?? Its not a sauce Its a paste
    Franks-Waterdown hot sauce Woosey sauce

Sorry boys, your way off

For this stupidty No way I would renew.
    Actually sriracha sauce is a sauce. I have some in the pantry. They may MAKE a paste, but I have never seen it. There is a red curry paste they use in Thai cooking that is quite hot. I really like it. I have used it many, many times.

Trusted Senior Member
    Also known as red chile paste with garlic is our beloved sriracha.....

It is possible that the flavor profile of McIllhenny''s may not be what the recipes originator had in mind. Lousianna-style tobasco sauce tends to be a little vinegery. In some recipes, this is dead-on, like in Cajun cooking, but in others, this may not be desirable. On the other hand, Carribean sauces are sweeter, with fruity overtones. Habanero sauces like Yucateca (one of my favorites) are deliciously peppery, but may be too hot for some. The best middle-of-the-road, neutral-tasting pepper sauces (in my opinion) are the Mexican bottle sauces like Valentino, and Cohulia. They are medium sweet, not tangy or vinegery, mild to medium hot, and have a wonderful roasted pepper flavor. Tennessee Sunshine, and Tiger Sauce also fall into this category. Sriracha is a wonderful, medium-hot sauce, but it's flavor is that of Thai Peppers, which may not compliment the other ingredients in the recipe. It is best suited for Vietnamese soups and dishes, such as Pho-Tai, 'Bun (rice stick), and the Thai dish, Nasai Lemaak. Then there is the King of bottled hot sauces...Infinity Pepper Sauce (my favorite). This is not for amateurs. On the Scoville Heat Scale, it is next on the list right below Police-Grade Pepper Spray (no exaggeration....), 1,463,700 SHUs! For comparison, Jalapenos are a mere 3500 SHUs. Use it sparingly, and carefully. It will make you glow in the dark! Added to recipes (a drop at a time), it will get attention.....

I am sure the caution was not aimed at any particular brand, but just trying to preserve the flavor profile of the finished dish.

Trusted Senior Member
    I wanted to recommend Cholula, but I think gigmaster was referring to this when he mentioned "Cohulia." Good stuff indeed, and not too hot as he says. I lament the loss of Frank's Chili Lime, which I'm told has been discontinued- I love Mexican flavor profiles, and the combination of chili and lime was instant Mex-gratification to me.

My experiences so far with the superhot sauces (haven't tried Infinity, but I've used Dave's Insanity and another one even hotter called Da Bomb) has been that they add "burn" but not too much else to a dish. Of course there are different characters of burn, I guess, but when it comes to seasoning I most often want to add more than just heat.

I am also quite fond of Sriracha; it hits the spicy & also hooks the garlic lover in me and for a while my love of it was verging on addiction! I can understand the feelings of the guy who wrote this:
    funny-food-photos-rooster-sauce-on-everything.jpg

I like the Asian sweet-hot chili sauces a lot, especially on eggs and chicken dishes. My most recent infatuation has been with Lao Gan Ma, a Chinese sauce that wasn't available here in the States for awhile but now can be had again at many Asian markets. It's sweet and spicy and salty and sort of savory too, is made with prickly ash sugar which I'd never heard of before. Comes in a jar with a little picture of an unhappy-looking woman on it and for some reason is called "spicy chili crisp." The stuff does contain some MSG- undoubtedly part of its unusually flavor-enhancing appeal- and preservatives, so those who are eating pure won't feel compelled to run right out and buy some. But it's a truly unique condiment.

Trusted Senior Member
    Frank's chile n lime seems to be alive and well! You can even print a coupon for it.
    http://www.franksredhot.ca/products/chile-lime-sauce

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_no...s+chile+n+lime

Trusted Senior Member
    Thanks KarenB; your sleuthing skills are much appreciated, as always. Our restaurant supplier told us last time we reordered that Frank's isn't making it anymore, but he could be mistaken. And even if he's right, I think I'll try to stock up for my own kitchen if there's any still on the store shelves. Chili Lime chicken just rocks my tastebuds, and it's mighty good in melted butter for popcorn or on a baked potato too.

One of the unfortunate aspects of the internet is listings persisting; often products linger long after they're gone- ghosts of the Web. There's a song in that idea, I think...

And of course it wouldn't be difficult to do a hot sauce with powdered chilis and lime juice added. Hmmm, maybe chipotle lime- I know they've gone out of fashion these days, but I haven't tired of the smoky heat that chipotles offer.

+ Reply to Thread