+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Deep Fried Mini donuts.

Deep Fried Mini donuts.

I am looking for a recipe for deep fried mini donuts like you can buy at fairs or exhibitions. It is a batter that is dropped into the hot oil, not a raised dough and they are not baked in oven. They are not dropped by the spoonful, but have the donut shape. Thank you.

Trusted Senior Member
    Hi Lazelegz and welcome. I do not have a recipe for your donuts, but thanks for this post. I actually googled mini donuts and I found that on Amazon they sell a Ronco donut maker. It is like the one I had many years ago and I think this is what you are looking for. I do not know if you have it or not, but for under$10. you can get one and I am sure a recipe book will be included. I think I may buy one myself. If you do not need the donut maker, I am sure you can google the recipe somewhere. if it was not so late for me right now I would try and find it for you. This donut maker did get mixed reviews, but more positive on the newest one. Good luck with your find. Maybe in a day or so someone else will have your answer, so keep checking in.

Mini Donuts
    1 package active dry yeast; instant if you’re in a rush (2 tsp.)
    2 Tbsp. warm water
    3 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, plus additional for sprinkling and rolling out dough (use half whole-wheat if you like)
    1 cup milk, at room temperature
    2-4 Tbsp. butter or non-hydrogenated margarine, softened
    1 large egg
    2 Tbsp. sugar
    1 tsp. salt
    canola oil, for frying
    cinnamon-sugar, for dipping (spike sugar with as much cinnamon as you like)
    In a large bowl, stir together the yeast and water; set it aside for 5 minutes, until it’s foamy. (If it doesn’t foam, throw it out and buy fresh yeast. It won’t foam much, but if it just sits there and does nothing, it’s inactive.) Add the flour, milk, butter, egg, sugar and salt, and stir until you have a soft, sticky dough. Stir for a minute or two, then cover and set aside for an hour, if you have time and aren’t at a 10th birthday party.
    Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and pat with floured hands until it’s about 1/2 inch thick. Cut out as many rounds as possible with the rim of a shot glass, and poke a hole in each with your finger, stretching it out a bit as it will puff up as it cooks, closing the hole somewhat. If you like, cover with a kitchen towel and let them rise for another 20-30 minutes (this isn’t necessary, but will produce lighter doughnuts).
    Heat about 2” of oil in a deep, heavy saucepan until it’s hot but not smoking. You’ll know when it’s hot enough by dipping in a piece of bread or a bit of dough – it should start sizzling right away. If the oil is too cool, they will take too long to cook and will absorb too much oil, making them heavy.
    Cook doughnuts 2 at a time, turning occasionally with tongs or a slotted spoon, until puffed and golden brown, about 2 minutes per batch. Transfer to paper towels to drain, then toss in cinnamon-sugar while still warm.

(Tip: to make maple dipped donuts instead, add enough maple syrup to icing sugar to make a dipable consistency, and dip away.)

Quote Originally Posted by lazelegz View Post
    I am looking for a recipe for deep fried mini donuts like you can buy at fairs or exhibitions. It is a batter that is dropped into the hot oil, not a raised dough and they are not baked in oven. They are not dropped by the spoonful, but have the donut shape. Thank you.
    found this, by raised dough were you referring to bread dough you can fry? Those are what my family would make, Italian Feasts call them Zeppole,

Hi there. I wanted to know if you had any luck with this recipe. I 've been craving these donuts lately and wanted to try to make them myself as well.

Trusted Senior Member
    These are the easiest I've ever made and always a hit. Especially when you are cooking for a crowd and they just inhale one after another!

Sugar Drop Donuts
    http://www.mrbreakfast.com/superdisp...?recipeid=1041

Trusted Senior Member Auntymimi's Avatar
    My homemade donut of choice is Goblin Drops. You can find a recipe in the search window under pumpkin donuts. I usually double the batch so I can use the whole can of pumpkin.

+ Reply to Thread