+ Reply to Thread

Thread: How do I correct having put too much garlic in my ham and bean and vergetable soup.

How do I correct having put too much garlic in my ham and bean and vergetable soup.

I don't want to further dilute the broth. How can I fix this?

Trusted Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Debbie Cooper View Post
    I don't want to further dilute the broth. How can I fix this?
    You might want to try adding a cut up white potato. Cut it in large pieces like maybe 4 quarters of a baking potato. I use that to pull salt out so maybe it will work with the garlic. I make a bean and veggie soup all the time using smoked meat. Is that what you used? If so, the next time you make it do not add any garlic or salt till the end. Also, was it the garlic salt? In that case the potato should work. You could also add a can of tomatoes with no salt added. Good luck and let us know if it worked

Highly Valued Member
    Hi! I never heard of too much garlic ! (except on someone's breath ). But did you let it get brown whiich can cause an overpowerful flavor, which is great for some recipes and not others. I came across 2 suggestions but have never tried either so I can't vouch for them. One was add a pinch of baking soda & stir well. Another is to add a bunch of parsley tied up or in cheesecloth so you can remove it, or stuff as much as you can in a teaball if you have one, & let it simmer in the soup.
    Maybe you can divide the soup into 2 batches, add potatoes & more of the other ingredients, which should cut down the garlic flavor & you'll have some batches of the soup for the freezer. Unfortunately, some people think this problem can't be fixed, but maybe something's worth a try...good luck & we always want to hear the outcome.....

Trusted Senior Member Auntymimi's Avatar
    I usually end up pouring it into a bigger pot and making a double batch. Freeze some or call the in-laws over for dinner.

Remove Garlic from a Ham Bone, Greens, and Bean Soup Recipe

I prepared a ham bone soup recipe using 1 1/4 lb. smoked ham bones and the 3 cloves of garlic the recipe called for. The garlic is a bit strong for my taste, so I tied a bunch of parsley together with butchers cotton cooking twine and placed it in the soup for a couple of hours of additional simmering. The parsley absorbed a fair amount of the garlic flavor.

+ Reply to Thread