+ Reply to Thread

Thread: burnt chili

Smile burnt chili

Hi all, Is there a way to get the burnt taste out of chili, once it has been burned? Just the bottom of the pot was burned, but the taste is throughout the batch of chili. Can it be saved? Thanks for your help. carolej

Trusted Senior Member
    I know of no way to save it, especially if it had been stirred up and spread the flavor throughout. You might try adding more tomatoes, but from my experience, nothing ever really takes away the burned flavor. If someone has a method we'd all love to hear it!

Highly Valued Member
    I make all kinds of chili alot, & I could never save a burnt batch (same w/ tomato sauce) I love to hear some suggestions too!

Trusted Senior Member
    Once it's burned, it's burned.......sorry

Trusted Senior Member
    You might want to try and just dump the top of the chili out of the pan, leave the burnt stuff behind, then put it in a clean pot with a couple of white potatoes cut in half or quartered and let is simmer for a bit. After a while taste and maybe add another can of tomatoes. If the potatoes do not help at all, then don't bother with the canned tomatoes, just toss it out. But sometimes it works. Just like when the potatoes pull salt out of something when there is too much added.

Trusted Senior Member
    I was wondering if the potato trick would work, too. I've been lucky in that I haven't burned any chili lately--probably because once I get all of my ingredients together in my cast iron enamel pot, I simply put it in the oven. Gentle heat all around and no worries about scorching...how many years did it take for me to figure THAT one out!

Trusted Senior Member
    Definitely take BasilRock's advice and switch pans, leaving behind as much of the burnt stuff as possible. If the chili was badly damaged, there might be nothing to do but start another batch. But you might try this, from my Secret Ingredients file:

"secret cure for slightly burnt soups & stews: cumin or curry, a little cayenne, a tiny pinch of cinnamon, and a little Liquid Smoke. Masks the burnt taste with a more complex flavor profile."

+ Reply to Thread