+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Divinity without corn syrup

Fledgling Member

Red face Divinity without corn syrup

Hello!

I'm looking for a divinity recipe like my Grandma made when I was a kid. She did not use corn syrup and the divinity was a drier melt in your mouth candy. They were heavenly!

I know she used water & sugar and cooked it until threads floated off of a fork and then she beat that mixture into her beated egg whites and then added chopped walnuts.

I'm not sure what the water sugar ratio is and I've tried numerous times and it never comes out.

I would greatly appreciate your help!

Thanks~Colleen

Trusted Senior Member
    I skimmed recipe search for a bit and couldn't find what you're looking for, they all seemed to require corn syrup. Have you tried an internet search, maybe some candy making websites?

Fledgling Member
    I've searched everywhere. I've Googled, Binged & Yahooed and every cooking site only has recipes with corn syrup.

Thanks! I'll keep trying.

Trusted Senior Member
    Wow, that's a lot of looking! There don't seem to be too many candy makers around here, but I'm sure if someone sees your post and can make suggestions they will do it. Sometimes it takes a while, don't give up hope!

Fledgling Member
    Thanks! I won't give up until I get it right!

Trusted Senior Member
    Mom would substitute maple syrup for the corn syrup. Also an equal amount of honey. Sorry don't have her recipe to be sure of results.

Fledgling Member
    I never thought of honey as a substitute! That's a great idea! Thanks!

Lightbulb This should help

It's not easy to find, but it's possible. You just need a little savvy ;.) Instead of looking for "divinity without corn syrup", good way to start is by searching "corn syrup substitutes in candy making". Apparently there are a variety of substitutes that can be used, some for your recipe, some for future reference. Let's say I learned a lot today just by doing that lol. You can make your own inverted sugar syrup, which is the closest thing you can get to corn syrup (scroll down for the invert sugar syrup recipe): http://notsohumblepie.blogspot.com/2...ramblings.html
    You can also use golden malt syrup, you can use isomalt which is a good (low calorie/low sugar!) sweetener made from beets, though I've found I would have to add food-grade glycerine to add the viscosity I needed. I doubt agave nectar or maple syrup would be good candidates here.

Here is a recipe that just might fill your need: a corn-syrup free divinity. Hope it works for you
    http://allrecipes.com/customrecipe/6...ty/detail.aspx

Trusted Senior Member
    Thanks and welcome. Good info. On another thread we were talking about sugar subs. Never heard of the ones you mentioned but will check them out.

Fledgling Member
    Thanks alot! I think the invert sugar syrup recipe is the one I've been looking for. I can hardly wait to try and let you know the outcome! Grandma always said "Never make divinity on a cloudy or high humidity day or it won't turn out." It is very humid here today! Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it!

+ Reply to Thread