+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freezing buffalo wing sauce?

Freezing buffalo wing sauce?

I MADE THE FOLLOWING RECIPE SUBMITTED BY E. LEE, WHICH WAS GREAT. MY QUESTION IS...CAN THIS BE FROZEN OR IF REFRIGERATED, HOW LONG WILL IT LAST????

HERE'S THE RECIPE:

"BEST HOT WING SAUCE EVER"
    1/4 c. ketchup
    1 bottle Frank's Red Hot Sauce
    3/4 stick of butter
    2 tablespoons minced garlic (more or less for your taste)
    1 1/2 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    2 tablespoon brown sugar

THANKS

Trusted Senior Member
    I'd keep it in the freezer for the next batch of wings, unless you plan on making them within the week.....

Trusted Senior Member
    Most sauces will freeze for 6 months. This one should. Three months for a cream base sauce.

Highly Valued Member
    Hi I agree you should be able to freeze this sauce for a a month or 2 as long as nothing in it was previously frozen (butter to me being the only worry).
    Recipe sounds delicious!! Enjoy!!!

Trusted Senior Member
    Considering that everything except the garlic and the butter either is a long-storage condiment or has preservative qualities, I'd say this would hold just fine refrigerated for at least a week or so. Even longer if the minced garlic were cured in the hot sauce for a bit before everything was blended together.

Trusted Senior Member
    Fitzfood and Eclecticsynergy...I'm wrong? A sauce like this is only good for a week to 2 months max in the freezer? I always thought sauces precooked would last much longer, what am I missing that shortens the life span? Fitzfood and Eclecticsynergy I though butter base would last longer since it's mixed? Opinions please....

Highly Valued Member
    Hello again! I thought about what you wrote...this is just my opinion, I would never worry about freezing sauces w/ garlic. The reason for my answer was I never freeze butter for more than 3 mos or so, that's only b/c I usually use it up b4 then. New recipes to me have always been "trial & error". I would say (unless it's too late @ this point,) freeze it in 2 batches, if it's fine after 1 month, than it will probably be fine for a few more months. I'm not much of a pro when it comes to feezing. Here's the thing I've learned, if you heat it up after freezing it & it smells weird or has a strange texture, Don't eat it! If it tastes & looks OK, ENJOY! All that said, I agree w/ "Eclectic" that hot sauce is a great preservative...& I would also say freeze it if you're not going to use it in a week or so. Hope I made sense w/ all that & offered some help. You can also try "Bing" or "ask.com" & put in "how long can I freeze hot sauce"
    My Brother-in-law is a hot sauce nut, he makes his own all the time, so I'll try to get some info fr him. ttys....

Trusted Senior Member
    IMO the fresh garlic is the determining factor. If it were cured in the hot sauce, I'd go ten days to two weeks refrigerated. If it were toasted in the butter first, maybe a bit longer in the fridge. In the freezer, at least three months- but I agree with fitz about not freezing butter much longer than that. Not necessarily because of spoilage, but for the sake of best flavor, though the hot sauce might cover any slight taste change in this case. Still, if it were to be frozen indefinitely, I'd freeze everything but the butter and garlic & add garlic butter when it thaws.

It finally occurred to me that the recipe probably means dried minced garlic, not fresh. In this case several weeks in the fridge should be no problem. I'd still hesitate to freeze butter for more than three months or so, though. My recommendation would still be to freeze all except the butter if it was going to go longer than this. Rereading the original post, I think the query probably was about leftovers, so my advice there is useless.

I'll revise my take on it a bit more casually: a couple weeks in the fridge, a couple months in the freezer. Longer than that, for a few dollars worth of ingredients I'd make a fresh batch.

+ Reply to Thread