+ Reply to Thread

Thread: dill pickle into bread & butter pickles

Question dill pickle into bread & butter pickles

Is it possible to take a prepared dill pickle. slice it up like the cucumber in a bread and butter pickle, would I have to blanch the onion or anything else. maybe cut back on salt in brine, or can I make chow chow (thats what my gran called her basically butter pickles? anyone

Blog Entries
    It really depends on if you're planning on reprocessing the pickles after you've made the relish or if you'll just be refrigerating them.

If you're not reprocessing and will store in the fridge, just make up the pickles by grinding the cucumbers in a food grinder using the coarse blade, then make up the vinegar/sugar/salt pickling solution, ladle the mixture into sterile jars and refrigerate.

If you're planning on reprocessing (putting them in a boiling water bath), then you can rinse them briefly under cold water to remove some of the old flavorings if you want before grinding.

Make up your pickling solution as above, ladle into 1/2 pint jars leaving 1/4-inch headspace and process in a boiling water bath for 10-15 minutes (depends on whether you hot pack).

Prize Winning Bread and Butter Pickles
    Deep South Chow Chow Relish

If these aren't the recipes you're looking for, try the search box at the top of this page and you'll find lots more recipes to choose from!

Trusted Senior Member
    Sure wish I'd known this when all that was left in the house were dill pickles, never have liked them....

Blog Entries
    I'd only use dill pickles for making a dill relish unless they were just lightly flavored, like a mostly brined (sort of like half-sour or partially fermented cukes). Otherwise, if you don't like dill pickles you probably won't like relish made from dill pickles either.

Trusted Senior Member
    Love those half sour dills though, can't get enough of them with a good deli sandwich!

+ Reply to Thread