+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Cornish Hens

Red face Cornish Hens

When baking cornish hens is it bet to bake breast side up or down? Covered or uncovered? At what temp and how long? Help please want to make tonight for dinner

Trusted Senior Member
    Recipe search has all the directions you'll need, good luck!

Trusted Senior Member
    just like chicken, breast side up. less time since its a small bird. baste occasionally. if it gets to cooked tent with foil.

Well I checked out a few recipes and made them 5 in total. I baked them breast side up seasoned and stuffed and all recipes indicated and hour to an hour and 15 minutes to cook with a range of temps between 400 and 350. So I baked it at 375 and it wasn't done for 2 hrs 15 minutes basting often. They turned out good but by the time they were done no one wanted to eat that much anymore. But thanks for the help.

Trusted Senior Member
    Stuffed birds always take longer, too bad you didn't know or weren't told. Cranky and hungry guests can always be placated with an appetizer--always keep something in the freezer, just in case.....

Yeah, when you a making a recipe for the first time, sometimes you don't realize exactly how long all the preparations, and then cooking, or baking times are going to take. I have had that happen to me too, and by the time dinner was ready everyone was full from snacks. It is disheartening. Always be sure you allow for extra time when you have a recipe you are not familiar with.

Fledgling Member
    It is best to bake breast side up. I have never covered the hens, however, you may want to cover the wing and leg tips wih foil to prevent them from scorching. I always cook my game hens at 375 for one hour. This cooking time is for (4) hens. Using a thermometer the temperature should be 165 degrees in the inside thickest part of thigh.

+ Reply to Thread