+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whipped Cream instead of Sour Cream

Whipped Cream instead of Sour Cream

Hello All,
    My boyfriend hates sour cream, so I've been looking for substitutions for it. I've seen plain yogurt and whipped cottage cheese suggested. I was thinking though, if I whipped regular heavy cream until it was very thick that I could use that in place of the sour cream. I'm looking for something without that sour flavor. Has anyone ever tired that? Or think it might be worth trying?
    Thanks!
    Sherri

Highly Valued Member
    If you're using it in a dish that's cooked, like a casserole or sauce, it will deflate pretty quick (the air you whipped in will bubble out as it heats & it won't stay thick.) You could use white sauce if that's the case. Or you could try cream cheese thinned with milk.

If you're using it for a cold dish like 5 cup fruit salad or a dip I think it would work. I really like cottage cheese for dips though.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherraldine View Post
    Hello All,
    My boyfriend hates sour cream, so I've been looking for substitutions for it. I've seen plain yogurt and whipped cottage cheese suggested. I was thinking though, if I whipped regular heavy cream until it was very thick that I could use that in place of the sour cream. I'm looking for something without that sour flavor. Has anyone ever tired that? Or think it might be worth trying?
    Thanks!
    Sherri
    You don't say what kind of recipe you want to make. For some, the sour taste may be required, but more often than not, plain cream will do just fine. I live in Mexico and love Mexican food. Though sour cream is NOT traditional down here, I happen to love it with many dishes I make. When I have no sour cream but DO have whole cream, I only have to add a bit of lime/lemon juice to make it a lovely substitute. Often, I don't even need to do that much, depending on the dish.

If you're going to put the cream in a dish for further cooking, there's no point in whipping it. Whipped cream is only useful served cold. Even room temp tends to deflate it.

One thing never to forget. Once cream is added (any kind) to a dish that will be cooked further, NEVER allow it to come to a boil.

So yeah, try the plain cream. It'll probably be just fine.

+ Reply to Thread