+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Hard Boiled Egg Problems

Fledgling Member

Hard Boiled Egg Problems

My husband loves deviled eggs, but I have two
    problems when making them.

First, the eggs rarely peel cleanly - there are torn
    places that can't be filled. They're ugly.

Second, the yolks are always off-center, which
    leaves the eggs lopsided, with a very thin wall on
    one side of the yolk.

Needless to say, I produce some very ugly
    deviled eggs, and waste some, too.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Highly Valued Senior Member

Hard Boiled Egg Problems

Extremely fresh eggs will not peel easily. In fact, an egg that is just a day or two old is almost impossible to peel. As eggs age, the shells will peel more easily. It is advisable that eggs used for hard cooking (including Easter Eggs) be at least 2 weeks old before cooking for easiest peeling. Hard cooked eggs that are cooked slowly over low heat (and not ‘boiled’) will be more difficult to peel.

Directions for Large Eggs:
    1. Place eggs in a saucepan with enough COLD tap water to cover completely by 1 inch. Bring to a ROLLING boil over HIGH heat. Once the water is brought to a rolling boil, PROMPTLY reduce heat to a lower medium boil and cook an additional 10 minutes for a “hard boiled” egg. For a “soft boiled” egg reduce the time by a few minutes.

2. Remove from heat and IMMEDIATELY place eggs under ice cold water or in a bowl of ICED water to chill promptly to help yolks stay bright yellow. Chill for a few minutes in the cold water until the egg is completely cooled. This is an extremely important step which prevents the greenish “ring” from forming on the surface of the yolk over time. If the egg is not chilled immediately after cooking an unsightly dark greenish ring will eventually appear on the outside of the yolk.

3. To peel...crack on all sides, roll egg between hands to loosen shell,and remove shell. Enjoy while still warm, with a light sprinkling of salt if desired.

To serve in egg cup, place egg in cup small end down, slice off large end of egg with knife or egg scissors and eat from shell with spoon.
    Refrigeration is necessary for hard boiled eggs if they eggs are not to be consumed within a few hours.
    Refrigerated boiled eggs, kept in the shell, can be kept for up to 1 week.

Gently put eggs in the bottom of a large pot. Add enough warm water just to cover the eggs. Turn on heat and bring water to a boil, then immediately turn off heat. (Boiling the eggs will make them rubbery.) Let eggs sit in the water until done: soft-boiled eggs 2 to 4 minutes; hard-boiled eggs 15 to 18 minutes. Drain and let them cool completely.

Traditional Deviled Eggs

1 dozen hard-boiled eggs
    ½ cup low-fat mayonnaise
    2 tablespoons minced onion
    2 teaspoons yellow mustard
    2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
    Salt and pepper to taste

Cut the eggs in half and put yolks in a large bowl. Mash yolks with a fork. To the yolks add the mayonnaise, onion, mustard, pickle relish, salt and pepper. Mix well. Stuff the filling inside the egg white. Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Sprinkle with a little paprika, if desired, before serving.

~Lisa

Fledgling Member

Hard Boiled Egg Problems

Thanks for the prompt response, Lisa. It's greatly
    appreciated.

Those two sets of instructions are definitely
    opposite, aren't they? The last time, I used room-
    temperature older eggs, added vinegar and
    removed the eggs from the heat as soon as the
    water started to boil, letting them sit for about 20
    minutes, then quickly chilling them. They peeled
    fairly well, but the yolks were still off-center. I
    cooked six eggs and got four fairly usable ones.
    They were all off-center, though.

I can unequivocally say that the Eggstractor "As
    Seen on TV" wouldn't even make a decent
    paperweight. I managed to launch a few eggs, still
    mostly in their shells, across the room. A couple
    more came out fairly well chopped and full of bits
    of shell.

Please keep the advice coming.

Trusted Senior Member

Hard Boiled Egg Problems

also how I do mine is I make sure my eggs are fully covered with water add a pinch of salt. (this will help seal the cracks in the egg shells) I usually boil about 6 eggs at a time and time them for about 4 min, remove from heat drain then add them directly into some ice water (this will cool them down and stop the cooking process) for a few minutes. I then peel the eggs under some cold running water. some pple like to cover the eggs with a lid when boiling but I don't. I find that it doesn't make a difference on the timing of the boiling water. deviled eggs are a hit for me when I do my catering services for parties. here is my recipe...when I do party trays at their request I've topped them with little bay shrimp, anchovies or just some chives....you can get creative.

6 eggs
    1/4 tsp of prepared mustard
    3 tbsp of mayo
    1/4 tsp dill
    1/8 tsp ea of white pepper
    paprika
    salt
    or season to taste
    1-2 tsp of milk (optional)

Place eggs in a pan and cover with water. boil eggs for about 4 min. remove from heat and place in ice water. let cool down to room temp. peel under cold running water.

Slice eggs in half. place egg whites on a plate or serving tray rinsed and dried.
    Mash egg yolks with fork and add all ingredients except for paprika. If desired you can add more mayo with a little bit of milk (small amounts at a time..as you can always add but not take out or you'll end up boiling another egg or two..lol..) Fill each half about a tsp and sprinkle with paprika. Cover and refrigerate up to 24 hrs.

Makes about 6 servings.

walla devled eggs!

kph

peeling hard boiled eggs

here's a tip that really gets the job done boil the eggs, then rinse with cold water, then crack shell, and with a teaspoon slide under shell and follow shape of egg and the shell comes right off.

Trusted Senior Member

peeling hard boiled eggs

intersting! thanks for posting!!

kph

Cover cold eggs with cold water. Add a pinch of salt or a small drip of vinegar. Bring to a full rolling boil, cover with lid and remove from heat. Allow to rest for 13 minutes then submerge in cold water. Let stand for several minutes and then slightly crack under running water (or even under water). Start at one end of the egg and remove the shell.
    I have used this technique for some time now and find that the yolks are always bright yellow, never green or bitter tasting.
    I am not sure about the off center.
    Try filling the eggs whites with potatoe salad. It's a little different and very good.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Avis[/FONT]

I have the same problem with the walls being WAYYYYYYYYYY.. too thin. But practice makes prefect. How long have you been at making deviled eggs?
    [FONT=Fixedsys]Mariah-RoseCass[/FONT]

Trusted Senior Member Cassie-Jane's Avatar
    I also have the same trouble does anyone know what to do?????
    [FONT=Century Gothic]Cassie~Jane[/FONT]

The above are all good and noteworthy. For simple peeling, cool as instructed above.

Then empty water from the pan.
    Shake the pan vigorously (front to rear and parallel to the floor) which will crack the eggs for you.
    Refill and cover the eggs with cold water. Set aside for 5 minutes or so.
    Empty the water - again. Your eggs should peel effortlessly!!

+ Reply to Thread