+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recommendations for a new SlowCooker?

Recommendations for a new SlowCooker?

I've had a Hamilton Beach for the past 3 years, I'd like to get a larger slow cooker (possibly 6qts) but wanted to see if anyone had any recommendations.

Looking for something I can "set and forget"

Blog Entries
    I like the Hamilton Beach that has a probe - you can keep it from boiling because you can set a temperature.

I also like ones that you can brown in on the stove top before setting them into the cooker. All-Clad has one with a metal insert that fits into an attractive stainless steel base, but it's more expensive than the others, isn't as straightforward as it should be in programming. Another one I liked was a Rival Versaware which had a crockery insert that could be used on the stovetop for browning and supposedly for freezing. I didn't have that one for very long, though, because one of the side handles on the crockery broke off for no reason (just picked it up).
    For that reason, I wouldn't recommend it, although I do like the concept. It's possible mine was just defective and they aren't all like that.

Finally, I have a Cuisinart cooker (not really a slow cooker) that allows you to brown right in the pot, put on the cover and use it as a pressure cooker, and it has a simmer setting, too, which makes it the most versatile one of the lot, but not really a slow cooker because it doesn't have a crockery insert.

One of my pet peeves is how most of these slow cookers BOIL on the standard cooking setting. The original Crock-Pots had a note warning that your cooker wasn't defective if you could barely feel the heat - the amount of heat was barely imperceptible but the long cooking times would cook the food over the 6-10 hour period (using the middle setting was the standard). Now, all the slow cookers seem to boil once they're covered, even on the low setting which makes them relatively useless for soups and stews (soup boiled is soup spoiled!).

To be safe, they need to reach a temperature above 140 within 20 minutes (which is really what the high setting is for, plus cooking things in just a few hours). I prefer a cooking temperature of 165-185F°F depending upon what I'm making. I use the high setting only to bring things to a point just below boiling (a high simmer where steam can be seen) after which I immediately turn the temperature down, and leave off the cover until any simmering stops.

Fledgling Member

Cuisinart 6.5 Qt. Slow Cooker in Brushed Stainles

Hi, it's Mike here.

This is my first post of what I hope to be many. I know you want a 6 qt slow cooker. But, I still wanted to let you know that I have a review of the "Cuisinart 3.5 Qt. Slow Cooker in Brushed Stainless" on my new web site at http://www.smallappliancedepot.com/b...hed-stainless/ . I figured you might like to take a peek at it to get some idea of the features Cuisinart puts into their slow cookers. You can follow the link in the review to see the specs of that item at the merchant. I took a quick look and found that that merchant also offers the "Cuisinart 6.5 Qt. Slow Cooker in Brushed Stainles" which is the size you want. I'll do some research on the 6.5 qt and post it on my site within a couple of weeks.

I hope this helps you find what you want.

BTW, I love using the slow cooker now a days. It's quick and easy and my son get's a good hot meal. He's such a good kid. Mine is an old, old crock pot. It's beat up and chipped ... basically on it's last legs. I want to get a new one, too. Will do, when I get a bit of extra cash (which might be never in this economy).

ImissTexas52
    My old crockpot was a small 3-qt Rival. It still works too. But now that I'm cooking for more people, I bought a larger crockpot (also a Rival). What a disappointment! Besides the fact it cost more than I ever thought I'd pay for a crockpot it cooks too hot. All my crockpot recipes have to be adjusted and I'm not very good at calculating how much less time I should cook food, so I've ended up not using it near as much as I would like. What a shame...

Trusted Senior Member Big Daddy's House's Avatar
    I have an old 5-qt Rival Slow Cooker that i bought in the late '70s, and it STILL works like a charm!! I used to use it to make Boston Baked Beans, but now I use it for doing pot roast, soups and stews.
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

Highly Valued Senior Member
    I just bought a crock-pot, after giving away the first one 25 years ago. Looking to do a brisket in green chili, for the first run. I think..... Long slow cooking in either the gas or electric oven just seems so expensive. oops, timer just went off; gotta go.....

Trusted Senior Member Big Daddy's House's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by al dente' View Post
    I just bought a crock-pot, after giving away the first one 25 years ago. Looking to do a brisket in green chili, for the first run. I think..... Long slow cooking in either the gas or electric oven just seems so expensive. oops, timer just went off; gotta go.....

Happy slow cooking, buddy!! Enjoy!!
    ~BDH.

I am the King of Kitchen Toys!!!!!!

I picked up a "row" of three crockpots a couple of years ago at Bed Bath and Beyond, for under $50. you can use one two or all three It's invaluable to me when I'm entertaining. I can do things liked mashed potatoes, soup etc in advance, put them, on" warm" in the pots. Looks very nice on a buffet One of the best things I've bought recently

Trusted Senior Member
    I've seen those. Great idea and would love one.

I'm using it today, have visitors, so it's stacked up with goodies for dinner.

+ Reply to Thread