+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What to do with a pound of ground beef???

What to do with a pound of ground beef???

I am so tired of making the same things!! Tacos, chili, hamburger helper. I browned up a couple of pounds of ground beef and still have one pound left to use - any new ideas? I have 3 boys 8, 5, 2 (well actually 4 boys with hubby) and no allergies. Thanks for any help!

Trusted Senior Member

Ground Beef

Cabbage rolls, meatloaf, hamburger patties,Swedish meatballs,meatballs with spaghetti, Waikiki meatballs, porcupines, sloppy joes, shepard's pie, stuffed peppers, beef stroganoff, beef noodle casserole.

Thanks - things I just didn't think about! I really appreciate it!

Blog Entries

1 lb ground beef

Quote Originally Posted by jenchil179 View Post
    I am so tired of making the same things!! Tacos, chili, hamburger helper. I browned up a couple of pounds of ground beef and still have one pound left to use - any new ideas? I have 3 boys 8, 5, 2 (well actually 4 boys with hubby) and no allergies. Thanks for any help!
    How about mexican pizza.

Blog Entries
    Besides the ideas mentioned above, Tacos, Italian Wedding Soup (with the meatballs), Jamaican patties, meat loaf.

I sometimes make hamburgers for the grill with the same kind of mixture I use to make meat balls. Mix 2 lbs. ground beef, 1/2 cup fresh parsley, chopped, 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, 1/2 tsp each oregano, basil and thyme, 4-6 minced cloves garlic, 4 eggs, 2 cups bread crumbs (or matzo meal or panko), 1 1/2 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. black pepper, large pinch red pepper flakes, 1/4 tsp. ground fennel seeds, sometimes a tablespoon of olive oil, another egg or a little beef broth if it needs it, but not too much. Don't compress the meatballs or burgers, just press them together lightly.

Mix it all up and make either meatballs or grilled burgers! To make meatballs, I saute the meatballs in 1/2 inch good quality olive oil seasoned with a bunch of whole cloves garlic.

You can use this same meat mixture to stuff artichokes!

You can use the meatballs in lots of ways - the classic meatballs with spaghetti, or use the filling to stuff ravioli, or to start a meat pasta sauce, or in soups, or in sub or bulkie rolls with sauce and topped with melted provolone or mozzarella for meatball subs.

You can also use the filling rolled up in bread (almost any bread dough will do). Roll it up jelly-roll style and add a little sauce, pinch it into a ring shape and you have umbellatta (you can add some cheese cubes if you like).

Add a little hot pepper sauce, Spanish paprika, cumin seed, and some allspice put the meat filling into empanada pockets. Add a little Mexican seasoning, roll it up in a cornbread type of mixture, roll that in some corn husks and you've got tamales.

Pasta: lasagna, spagetti, raveole!
    [FONT=Fixedsys]Mariah-RoseCass[/FONT]

Try this. You will need a Pizza dough (deep dish) 2-4oz can tomato sauce (I use the roasted garlic and Garlic/Basil floavoured) Chopped onions,green peppers and mushrooms. Motzarella shredded cheese. Brown beef onions, peppers & mushrooms,together. Drain oil. Add tomato sauce and let simmer. Line a 13x9" pan with pizza dough, bringing it up the sides on the pan. Fill sough with sauce mixture. Cook in at 400 for approx 15-20 minutes. When the edges of the dough begin to get brown, remove from oven and sprinkle cheese atop. (As desired) return to oven and bake approx. 7 min. until cheese is melted. Serve with a salad. enjoy. My family loves this. It works even better with ground turkey.

+ Reply to Thread