+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I hate Salmon

I hate Salmon

I know I am supposed to eat Salmon, but basically can't stand the taste, would poaching it do any good? Does that remove that oily nasty fishy taste?

Highly Valued Member
    No poaching does not remove the rich, delicious taste of salmon. Salmon does have a distinctive flavor that perhaps you do not care for, but are you certain what you are getting is fresh? By this I do NOT mean unfrozen, because in your average supermarket this means it was frozen & has thawed. I only buy frozen fish because I live so far inland.

Trusted Senior Member
    Soak your fish in milk first for 1/2 hour to remove the fishy taste. Try Salmon patties. It's a good way to get it in you and hide the taste with herbs.
    I take an Arctic cod liver oil daily. The Arctic brand is one of the most complete products out there. The oil comes in orange or lemon. No fish taste at all. One teaspoon a day and I'm done, but you can get it in pill form. Krill oil is also good but I'm sticking with my brand because after research it is the healthiest. Some brands don't have the quality of oil you need.
    try this, it's really good, GI Cookbook;

Drunken Salmon

120ml (4fl.oz) Scotch whiskey
    120ml (4fl.oz) freshly squeezed orange juice
    4 tbsp soy sauce
    5-6 tbsp olive oil
    1 tbsp pepper
    1 tbsp salt
    2 cloves garlic, crushed
    1kg (21/4lb) salmon fillet, skin on

[LIST=1][*]In 23x32cm (9 x13-inch) glass baking dish, whisk together whiskey, orange juice, soy sauce, olive oil, pepper, salt and garlic. Place salmon fillet in marinade, skin-side up. Cover with plastic wrap and chill for 6-8 hours.[*]Remove salmon from marinade and place on cedar plank, skin-side down. Place on preheated grill or barbecue and cook over medium-high heat, with barbecue lid down, for 10-13 minutes or until salmon just flakes with a fork. Be careful not to overcook.[/LIST] Makes 8 servings.

note; I just use the oven or a piece of foil since I don't have cedar plank laying around!

Fledgling Member
    I agree, I hate it too! Love all other fish even blue fish.

Fledgling Member
    Salmon really doesn't have a fishy taste, however it is a rather rich fish. Anytime a fish is fishy that can be indicative that it is not fresh. I usually cook it with the skin but then remove it before eating it since it really is very rich. Try this simple method, pour a little bit of balsamic vinegar, soy sauce (light preferably) fresh grated ginger and garlic add some freshly sliced scallions and lemon slices over salmon. Pop in the oven for about 10 at 350 degrees depending on size and thickness. Works for me everytime...enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Any fish that is naturally high in oils seems "rich" and if you want to cut the richness, lemon juice (or even wine vinegar) can help. I like to use a good amount of lemon juice on salmon, or wine vinegar for blue fish, then I add a buttered bread crumbs/herb mixture coating over the top and season lightly with garlic, shallots or green onion and parsley. A very high heat for a brief time (broiler) will cook the salmon so that it's nicely done and light.

I like canned salmon better than fresh... figure that! I had an expensive grilled salmon out once, and it deterred me from anymore of it. All my life my mother made salmon patties, just plain with a little flour. When I started making them for myself I made them with minced onion and an egg, along with rolling them in crushed Ritz crackers. They were good that way. After they are fried and drained I have either a squeeze of lemon over each pattie, or a little sweet and sour sauce to dip them in. I haven't made them in a while. Maybe I will tonight!

Trusted Senior Member
    I concur with brigid; canned has less salmon flavor.

Salmon cakes are great, salmon casserole with crushed saltines and milk is tasty too. And you can make salmon salad as if it were tuna salad- toasted onion and chopped celery, maybe some smoked paprika or a large pinch of dill.

With all of these, or with fresh fish, the more you season, the less you'll taste the salmon.

Quote Originally Posted by eclecticsynergy View Post
    I concur with brigid; canned has less salmon flavor.

Salmon cakes are great, salmon casserole with crushed saltines and milk is tasty too. And you can make salmon salad as if it were tuna salad- toasted onion and chopped celery, maybe some smoked paprika or a large pinch of dill.

With all of these, or with fresh fish, the more you season, the less you'll taste the salmon.
    I made a salmon chowder one time. It was really good, and on the order of a creamy based clam chowder. It had the usual veggies in it, and everyone liked it. I like the idea of the salmon salad. That would be something different.

+ Reply to Thread