+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Too much vinegar in coleslaw

ImissTexas52

Too much vinegar in coleslaw

I was given some coleslaw after a party. My husband and I tasted it and it has WAY too much vinegar for our tastes. Is there anything I can add to tone down that vinegar taste?

Trusted Senior Member
    I will add white sugar when that happens. Go easy until you get the right taste. Everybody has a different vinegar taste level. Mine is 0. Can't stand the stuff.

Blog Entries
    Drain it well and toss it with a few tablespoons of cream or mayonnaise. Some vinegars can be too acidic. Try a mellow aged vinegar, or a red wine vinegar that's been standing for a year or one of the more expensive bottles (never buy a store brand). The quality of vinegar really makes all the difference, but still it's an acquired taste.

For the best vinegar, sometimes I purposely leave the cork off a bottle of wine for a few hours, then put the bottle on the shelf for a year. It helps if you have a "mother" in an old vinegar bottle to add to get the process started of turning the wine into vinegar. The mother is a blob that forms in the wine that turns it to vinegar. If you save this from batch to batch to innoculate new wine, you can get the process started more quickly.

Some wines won't turn because they contain sulphites. If you're going to try this, make sure the contents of the bottle don't contain any sulphites, and look for a decent quality French wine that's fruity. It works for both red or white wines. Try both. But you'll have to plan at least 5-6 months ahead of your salad. :)

ImissTexas52
    I think I'm really going to enjoy this forum. I've only been a member a little over a day and I've already learned a lot! Thank you for the replies.

Blog Entries
    You're welcome! Nice to have you with us :)

Trusted Senior Member
    ImissTexas52.. you are going to learn a ton of stuff here. This is the best site out there. I was just on another so called cooking site and the language was offensive. I'm here to learn to cook not to swear. Your hanging out with a bunch of classy cooks that know what they are doing..welcome

ImissTexas52
    Thanks for the welcome. This site is great! I've been reading threads and it didn't take me long to realize there are some awesome cooks contributing to these forums. Lucky for the rest of us that are just average. We can pick their brains and learn from them. I love it! I'm going to make it a point to visit here quite frequently.

+ Reply to Thread