+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Freezing stuffed cabbage

Freezing stuffed cabbage

Does anyone know if stuffed cabbage (pigs in a blanket) can be frozen ahead of time for later party?

Blog Entries
    The cabbage leaves might lose their texture and become a little mushy, depending upon how much they've been cooked. I would suggest you try a small batch before serving to your guests! If you do freeze, pack them in sauce and exclude as much air as possible (vacuum packaging would be best).

Trusted Senior Member
    I always freeze my cabbage head then thaw before I do my cabbage rolls. Less mess and much safer than the boiling water method. The leaves are much easier to handle. I cook them in Tomato Juice and they come out perfect. I make a large batch for the freezer. Cook from frozen but I usually add a little juice to get more flavour.

Trusted Senior Member
    I live alone, so when I make almost anything I have to freeze most of it. Stuffed cabbage is one of the things I love and I do freeze them. I make them, bake them, but the ones I want to freeze, I cook a little less, about 10 min less and make sure they are covered with the sauce and freeze in containers that hold 4 to 6 rolls. They come out perfect. I am sure you can do them in a large pan for a party. Maybe partially precook and then heat later and finish the cooking. Good luck.

Blog Entries
    The stuffed cabbage will keep well at the lower part of the refrigerator packed in sauce without freezing for 2-3 days.

A good way to steam the cabbage leaves is to use a large pasta cooker (with either a mesh basket or a perforated insert) with a few inches of rapidly boiling water at the bottom. Put the cabbage into the insert and lower it into the steam and cover for a few minutes. Leave the water boiling. Run cabbage under cold water and remove a few layers of leaves, then repeat.

Sometimes I've used a large barbecue fork stuck through the core and that works well, too.

+ Reply to Thread