+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Canning tomato soup question

Canning tomato soup question

Hi I am new on this my first time and I need your help since I am start to learn about tomatoes soup canning since I always made my own salsa on my greenhouse tomatoes and peter pepper and yellow bell pepper and it got more coming tomatoes and wanted to make tomatoes soup so I need to ask you its very important since I seen the other website saying flour butter cream were not safe on canning ???? and I found this website which it shows here > TOMATO SOUP (FOR CANNING)
    3 1/2 to 4 qt. tomatoes, cut in wedges
    3 1/2 sprigs parsley or 1 tbsp. dehydrated flakes
    1 1/2 onions, sliced or chopped
    1 tbsp. salt
    2 1/2 tbsp. sugar
    3 1/2 tbsp. butter
    2 1/2 tbsp. flour
    1/2 tsp. pepper

it shows here I was wondering why the other website say flour butter were not safe so is that true ?? and also if someone who put this receipt and I need to know how come it didn't added like vinegar or lemon to keep fresh longer for canning ?? if not then this receipt here how long will it keep fresh for that canning ?? Hope if someone see this receipt who put this will reply me :-) that would be all thank you , Brett

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by skulldragon60 View Post
    .... wanted to make tomatoes soup so I need to ask you its very important since I seen the other website saying flour butter cream were not safe on canning ???? and I found this website which it shows here > TOMATO SOUP (FOR CANNING)
    You can leave the butter out if it concerns you, but the main problem with using butter and other fats in canning is that it affects the rubber sealing compound and may soften it in storage or make it less likely to adhere to the jar rim in the first place. Fat also has a tendency to go rancid in long storage, so the less used the better. I would not want to add butter to salsa anyway, so it isn't really a problem?

Safety in canning is more influenced by the pH of the food being canned; acid foods such as tomatoes and most fruits can be canned in a boiling water bath, while meats, low acid vegetables and seafood should only be canned in a pressure canner.

Some newer tomato varieties have a lower pH than older types and it is recommended by some that lemon juice or vinegar be added to lower the pH when tomatoes are canned in a boiling water bath (which is what you'd want to use for a salsa to keep the tomatoes from becoming mushy). I often use a pressure canner when canning tomatoes because I make pasta sauce (I use a vittorio strainer to remove seeds and skins). I add wine/wine vinegar, basil, oregano, onions, garlic and sometimes I add back chunks of seeded/skinned tomatoes. I also like to can Tuscan bean soup (white beans in tomato sauce with oregano, basil, bits of pork), and I add pork chunks in tomato sauce so that it's ready for tossing with pasta to serve.

Since I usually include low-acid vegetables and meats in the sauce, I use a pressure cooker because I find it's easier to use than a boiling water bath. I use a boiling water bath for jellies, marmalades, fruits, and fruit sauces and fruit juices.

Some recipes call for added lemon juice, others don't - it really comes down to the variety of tomato you're using and the USDA often recommends it based on the fact that many people don't know what kinds of tomatoes they are canning, and they don't know the pH of their final product, so they take an approach of "better safe than sorry".

There has been much controversy over this recommendation over the past 20-30 years which has never really been resolved. So, it's up to you which advice you choose to follow for adding extra lemon juice when using a boiling water bath. Lemon juice doesn't actually preserve the tomatoes or "keep them fresh" - it only lowers the pH (acidity) as does vinegar. If the pH gets too high (the tomatoes are usually sweeter, but sweetness doesn't always affect the pH), then the tomatoes should be canned in a pressure canner unless you were to add the lemon juice.

Hope this helps!

Trusted Senior Member
    Excellent advice from CM. I didn't add the lemon juice or citric acid one year and the glass jars exploded. Tomato and glass everywhere. Not much fun.KarenB

+ Reply to Thread