• Twinkies® Celebrates 80 Sweet Years

Apr 6, 2010 07:00 ET -- Hostess(R) Salutes an American Icon as the Twinkie(R) Celebrates 80 Sweet Years

IRVING, Texas, April 6 /PRNewswire/ -- The iconic Hostess® Twinkie®, one of the sweetest stars to ever grace the American snack cake stage, is celebrating its 80th anniversary - capping a remarkable journey that has spanned television and film, given rise to urban legends, and, by presidential decree, come to represent an "object of enduring American symbolism."

Here's to the "best darn tootin' idea" Hostess bakery manager James Dewar - a.k.a. "Grandpa Twinkie" - had that fateful day in Chicago in 1930.

Here's to the American ingenuity that put idle shortcake pans to work when strawberries weren't in season to produce a two-for-a-nickel Depression era treat.

Here's to Howdy Doody, Archie Bunker, Homer Simpson and countless others whom have helped to make Twinkies an enduring part of our pop culture.

Here's to the hundreds of thousands of people who have baked Twinkies over the years, from Margaret Branco, an original "Twinkie Stuffer," who filled the sponge cakes one by one using a special foot-pedal operated machine to ensure just enough filling was added, to the thousands of Hostess employees who have perfected the art.

Here's to the dozens of contributors who lent their culinary talents to The Twinkies Cookbook, an inventive and unexpected recipe collection featuring everything from Twinkie Pancakes to Twinkie Burritos and, lest we forget, an astonishing chapter devoted to "Twinkies and Meat."

And most of all, here's to the millions of Twinkie lovers everywhere, who continue to enjoy the tried, true and timeless treat to the tune of half a billion Twinkies a year.

Twinkies by the Numbers:

-- 500 million: The number of Twinkies baked each year.
    -- 10: The minutes it takes to bake a Twinkie.
    -- 1930: The year James Dewar invented the two-for-a-nickel treat.
    -- 150: The number of calories in one Twinkie.
    -- 50: The number of recipes in the Twinkies Cookbook.
    -- 7: The number of Twinkies needed to make the "Patriotic Twinkie Pie"
    recipe in the Twinkies Cookbook.
    -- 1: The rank of New Orleans in terms of per capita Twinkie consumption
    compared to other cities in the U.S.
    -- 1999: The year President Bill Clinton included Twinkies in the
    millennium time capsule.
    -- 26 days: The shelf life of a Twinkie.

Got a great Twinkie tale to share? Want to shout out a sweet salute? Follow Twinkies on Twitter at http://twitter.com/Hostess_Snacks. For more information about Twinkies or other Hostess products visit www.hostesscakes.com.

Source: Hostess Brands, Inc.
    CONTACT: Casey DePalma or Hannah Arnold, +1-212-575-4545, Linden
    Alschuler & Kaplan, Inc. Public Relations

Web Site: http://www.hostesscakes.com/

Copyright © 2010 PR Newswire Association LLC. All rights reserved.
  • Recent Threads

jlrader12345

9 day sweet pickles

Thread Starter: jlrader12345

I want to make 9 day pickles and it calls for putting the sliced cucumbers in a crock or glass container. I don't have either can I use a plastic container

9 Hours Ago by KarenB Go to last post
    linda joneli

Canning Jars

Thread Starter: linda joneli

Walmart have the pint GREAT VALUE jars on sale for $5 per box of 12. These are the ones in the white boxes with red printing.

10 Hours Ago by KarenB Go to last post
    Big Daddy's House

What did you cook today?

Thread Starter: Big Daddy's House

I just made some Boston Baked Beans in the pressure cooker.

And here it is - the finished product!!

From start to finish!

1 Day Ago by KarenB Go to last post
    Rob2012

Banana Bread in a cake pan

Thread Starter: Rob2012

I just made a banana bread in a 9 inch spring form cake pan. The recipe said to cook in a loaf pan for one hour at 350*F. I cooked it for 35 minutes

1 Day Ago by KarenB Go to last post
    BasilRock

The growning garden

Thread Starter: BasilRock

My plants are growing like crazy. I have tomatoes on almost all the plants (not ripe yet of course) bean stalkes are getting pretty high. Zuchs are blossoming,

1 Day Ago by al dente' Go to last post
    AussieBrian

Dibbles and nips

Thread Starter: AussieBrian

She truly meant to say 'nibbles and dips' but it'll be dibbles and nips in my house forever more.

1 Day Ago by al dente' Go to last post
    brigid

Summertime

Thread Starter: brigid

1 Day Ago by brigid Go to last post